Milligan breaks steals record in Aggie 6-3 victory

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

The all-around team effort catapulted the Aggies to a road victory.

Fresh off the news that the Aggies would be getting a new stadium in the upcoming season, No. 18 Texas A&M (34-14) defeated Texas State (30-18) 6-3 to end their nine game road skid.

On Wednesday, the Texas A&M University Board of Regents approved the build of a new softball complex. The $28.6 million project is set to begin in the near future which would end the life of the existing Aggie Softball Complex, which has been in use for approximately 20 years.

Texas A&M struck first in the top of the first inning off an RBI single by sophomore Ashley Walters to take a 1-0 lead. However, the highlight of the inning came as freshman outfielder Keeli Milligan etched her name into the Aggie softball record books. Milligan stole her 49th base of the season to pass Sharonda McDonald for the most stolen bases in a single season in A&M history.

Milligan told 12thman.com she feels relieved to have broken the record and feels blessed to have her name beside a player of McDonald’s caliber.

“It is something that has been wearing on me for a long time,” Milligan told 12thman.com. “It is a weight off my shoulders. It means a lot to me in the aspect that Sharonda was a great player here.

In the bottom of the second inning, the Bobcat offense came alive as they scored three runs on two outs to lead the maroon and white 3-1. Sophomore Tori Vidales hit an RBI single allowing for freshman Kaitlyn Alderink to score cutting the Texas State lead to one.

After a single by Walters and a walk from sophomore Kristen Cuyos, the bases were loaded for freshman Riley Sartain who proceeded to hit a grand slam to give the Aggies the 6-3 advantage over Texas State. Despite threatening to score, the Bobcat offense was no longer able to recover from the blast by Sartain.

Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com that Texas State is not an easy opponent to face but is happy with the way her team performed in preparation for No 1. Florida Gators who will be in College Station this upcoming weekend.

“Texas State is a very good ball club, and we have a lot of respect for them,” head coach Jo Evans told 12thman.com. “I really am pleased with some of the performances we had and how we took care of ourselves.”
The Aggies will be back in action Friday as the host No. 1 Florida in their final home series of the season. First pitch will begin at 6:30 p.m. at the Aggie Softball Complex and can be seen on the SEC Network Plus.