Moorehead discusses progression of A&M receiving corps

Photo by Tim Lai

Christian Kirk signs his autograph during Fan Appreciation Day on Saturday, August 22nd. 

During the off-season, the Aggies added a lot to their new coaching staff. One of the best hires was the new wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead.

Moorehead played at the University of Illinois before playing for the Indianapolis Colts, where he won a Super Bowl in 2006 with Peyton Manning. Before coming to A&M, he coached receivers at New Mexico, Stanford under Jim Harbaugh, Virginia Tech under Coach Frank Beamer, and now will coach up the Aggie receivers in 2015.

After practice on Tuesday, Moorehead caught up with some of the media to talk about his very talented corps of receivers.

A huge centerpiece of that talented group is the addition of freshman Christian Kirk, who was recruited as one of the nation’s top high school receivers out of Arizona. From spring practice to now, it’s easy to see that Kirk brings a different feeling of toughness and physicality to the group, and other receivers around him took to his ways quickly as well.

“He [Kirk] is a young, strong guy, and he really was a guy who came in and started doing good things in the spring,” Moorehead said. “Guys realize what it’s going to take, which is fun to watch from a guy who just left high school, and it made [Ricky] step his game up and made [Speedy] step his game up. And all those guys who showed flashes of toughness were being consistently tough.”

Another topic of discussion has been the improvement of highly touted recruit Ricky Seals-Jones. He played quarterback when he was at Sealy, but came to A&M to play wide receiver. It was an adjustment for him, but after building some muscle and learning the playbook better, he’s shown some of the most consistent improvement of anyone in the receiving corps.

“He just learned to play a new position in the best conference with some of the best defenders in college football. He had an up and down year, and I think the game has slowed down for him. He’s starting to see the defenses and coverages, and he understands how to get in and out of breaks,” said Moorehead. “You can never take that for granted, because that is the hardest thing to do is to make the game slow down. Once it slows down, that’s where the pure athleticism, size, speed, and quickness can really take over.”
Between the two, both have the playmaking ability to change a game at any moment. As both consistently improve, it will be a fun thing to watch in a high powered Aggie offense.

• Speedy Noil poses with a fan during Fan Appreciation Day at the Indoor Track and Field Stadium on Saturday, August 22nd. 

Photo by Tim Lai