Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Morning matchup: Aggies look to build on last week’s narrow victory

Photo by Photo by Cristian Aguirre

The Texas A&M Aggies (1-1) will be looking to grab their second win of the season against Louisiana-Lafayette (1-1) this Saturday.

After surviving last week’s 24-14 win over Nicholls State that was much closer than it should have been, Texas A&M is still searching for improvement before the start of SEC play next Saturday.
The Aggies’ next opportunity to showcase that improvement comes with another home contest against a non-Power Five opponent as Louisiana-Lafayette comes to Kyle Field Saturday for an 11 a.m. kickoff.
“I think our team mentally is in a pretty good place based on what’s happened to them the last couple of weeks,” head coach Kevin Sumlin said at Tuesday’s press conference. “Are we the team we want to be right now? Not yet. Were there some things we improved on? Yes. Do we have to get better? Yes.”
The Ragin’ Cajuns (1-1) boast an explosive offense that has scored at least 42 points in each of its first two games.
They defeated Southeastern Louisiana in a 51-48 Week 1 shootout and fell to Tulsa 66-42 last Saturday.
The Aggies, meanwhile, are still trying to find their way on offense. They shifted their offensive line alignment multiple times against the Colonels and Sumlin indicated they will run out a different starting five for the third time in as many games.
“We’re just trying to find the best combination of starting five that will produce the best right now,” junior offensive lineman Conner Lanfear said. “It’s just business as usual.”
And at quarterback it appears both Jake Hubenak and Kellen Mond will play Saturday against Louisiana. Mond started strong against Nicholls but then sputtered to a 12-for-21, 105-yard final line, while Hubenak came off the bench to lead A&M on two fourth-quarter scoring drives that ultimately were the difference in the game.
“We’ve got to continue to develop both of them in my opinion, not just one guy,” Sumlin said of his two QBs. “Both guys need be developed and continue to develop and the only way to do that is practice them both and play them both.”
Expect the Aggies to continue to rely on the running game, and the emergence of redshirt sophomore Kendall Bussey should make that aspect even more productive. Bussey racked up 97 yards on the ground and played a critical role in A&M’s fourth-quarter win against Nicholls State.
“I think me being able to get a presence in the game has done a lot for [the quarterbacks] — taking the stress off them,” Bussey said. “So I think the running game will probably carry the team.”
Defensively, the Aggies have controlled the line of scrimmage in dominating fashion. They rank sixteenth in the nation so far this season in rushing defense with only 68.5 yards allowed per game, and the improved play of the linebacking corps has had a lot to do with that success.
“We’re tired of people not thinking highly of us and we’re just ready to prove that we can be really good,” sophomore linebacker Tyrel Dodson said.
Defensive coordinator John Chavis made the decision to come down to the field this season. The hope is that Chavis, who has always operated from up in the booth, will be able to make better adjustments down on the field, especially considering the youth of the A&M defense.
“I love it,” Dodson said of Chavis’ decision. “He’s able to see a lot more. He’s able to be there with us and help us with more Xs and Os.”
The Aggies are seeking their 27th straight victory over non-conference home opponents, a streak that dates all the way back to 2008.
They have not turned the ball over in either of their first two games.
Christian Kirk, who has led Texas A&M in receiving in each of the first two games, is only three all-purpose yards shy of becoming the second Aggie wide receiver in school history to amass 3,500 all-purpose yards.
Kickoff for Saturday is scheduled for 11 a.m. and will be nationally televised on SEC Network.