No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Moving to the major league

Nolan+Hoffman
Nolan Hoffman

Five current Aggies and four A&M signees were taken in this year’s MLB Draft.
Pitcher Mitchell Kilkenny was A&M’s top pick, taken in round 2 at No. 76 overall by the Colorado Rockies on the first day. Kilkenny started in every weekend series for the Aggies in 2018, posting an 8-5 record with a 3.34 ERA.
“Obviously this is a dream for any player,” Kilkenny told reporters on June 6. “I’m just trying to put all the pieces together and see what the next step is.”
Relievers Nolan Hoffman and Cason Sherrod were drafted on the second day. Hoffman was a fifth-round pick by the Seattle Mariners, while Sherrod was taken in the seventh round by the Miami Marlins.
Sherrod improved his draft stock after being taken in Round 13 by the Kansas City Royals last season.
“I was very excited, very pumped up,” Sherrod told reporters. “Honestly, I was expecting to go that high, but things worked out and I got a shot.”
On the final day, second baseman Michael Helman and pitcher Stephen Kolek were taken in the 11th round. Helman, who led the team in batting with a .369 average, was taken No. 334 overall by the Minnesota Twins. Kolek was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers No. 344 overall.
While none of the players have officially announced their intentions of leaving, the four who still have eligibility – Kilkenny, Hoffman, Helman and Kolek – are likely to sign with their major league clubs, forgoing their senior seasons.
Four A&M signees were also taken in the draft.
Two were taken in the first round as pitcher Grayson Rodriguez was picked No. 11 overall by the Baltimore Orioles, while short stop Noah Naylor was selected No. 29 overall by the Cleveland Indians. The Texas Rangers took RHP Mason Englert in the fourth round. None are likely to enroll this coming fall.
Furthermore, Brandon Birdsell was taken by the Houston Astros in the 39th round, but announced on Twitter after being drafted that he will attend A&M.
One player who notably went undrafted was pitcher Kaylor Chafin, who was taken in the 32nd round by the New York Mets, but elected to stay for his senior season. Chafin struggled at times this season, ending his career with his lone loss in 2018 after allowing six runs in just 0.1 innings in A&M’s season-ending defeat to Indiana last Sunday.
Despite potentially dealing with attrition, returning starters are optimistic about what the Aggies will return with in 2019.
“I speak for the young guys, the freshmen, we feel really confident,” centerfielder Zach DeLoach — who started in 61 of A&M’s 62 games this season — said after the Aggies’ loss to Indiana. “We got a lot of freshman experience, and I thank Coach Childress for believing in us this year and [for giving] us opportunities which will get us more prepared for next year.”