Murray, offense at the forefront of Tuesday’s football news conference

Photo by Photo by Bryan Johnson
Texas A&M Football press recap

Following the 26-10 loss to Auburn at home last Saturday, the main theme of Tuesday’s weekly news conference revolved around Kyler Murray and what has been wrong with A&M’s usually powerful offense.
In recent weeks, especially at the quarterback position, the wheels of the Aggie offense have essentially fallen off.
One of the first things Sumlin touched on Tuesday was the quarterback position. Kyler Murray appears to be the next signal caller of the offense, but he left the game with an undisclosed injury on Saturday after throwing three costly interceptions, leading some to question whether or not Jake Hubenak will be the starter against Western Carolina. Sumlin said the team will have to wait and see where they are later in the week before making that decision.
“We’ll see where [Kyler] is physically,” Sumlin said. “The pecking order there will be based as it always is — on practice … That decision will come later in the week.”
Spavital said the Auburn loss, while a rough experience, is something for Murray to learn from moving forward.
“He’s a young quarterback and that was a tough test for him,” Spavital said. “He’s in good spirits right now. We had our talk, and he’s ready to get back to work. I think he’s done a great job handling it.”
Right now the Aggies have two SEC contests remaining after this week’s home finale against Western Carolina University. If the Aggies drop their final two SEC road contests, they could be the team that finishes last in the West.  
Sumlin says the thing the team needs most after the loss is to pick themselves back up and face other competition.
“We need to get back on the field of play … We need to play football against someone else,” Sumlin said. “That will be good for us on Saturday night.”
Spavital said the biggest issue Saturday evening and the last few weeks in general has been a matter of execution and being able to complete drives.
“We just have to finish … We can’t leave many points out there on the field,” Spavital said. “In this league, you do not know how many drives you are going to get … We only got nine possessions on Saturday … We just did not capitalize on punching it in the end zone.”
Spavital said the competition for the spot of signal caller this weekend is still ongoing.
“Whoever gives us the best chance to move the ball is going to be who is out there against Western Carolina,” Spavital said.