Myles Garrett falls short from winning Vince Lombardi award

Photo by Photo by: Jenna Rabel

Defensive end Myles Garrett celebrates after a sack in Saturday’s game.

Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett traveled to Houston for the Lombardi award ceremony. Garrett did not win the award, given annually to the best defensive lineman in the country who also displays the outstanding discipline of legendary coach Vince Lombardi.

Garrett recently put the finishing touches on a phenomenal season, where he compiled 18.5 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks, which ties him for seventh and fifth nationally, respectively.

The 6-foot-5 monster out of Arlington has garnered Heisman consideration along the way this season for his tremendous play, and he was recognized for his disruptive play on Wednesday night. Garrett was one of four finalists for the coveted award along with Penn State’s Carl Nassib, Ohio State’s Joey Bosa and Clemson’s Shaq Lawson.

Nassib ultimately took home the hardware, as the announcement was made at the Revention Music City in Houston.
Only a true sophomore, Garrett has to stay in college for at least one more season. Having him back to anchor the defensive line is huge for defensive coordinator John Chavis and the rest of the Aggie defense, and Garrett will undoubtedly be one of the favorites to win this award in 2016.