NFL hopeful Aggies work out on Pro Day

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Scouts from all 32 NFL teams were present.

Tuesday morning, 11 current and former Texas A&M football players hoping to make the transition from college to professional put their skills on display in front of scouts from all 32 NFL teams which included almost 50 professional personnel for Pro Day.
Christian Kirk, who declared following the end of his junior season only participated in the receivers and the special teams portion of the day. Last month, Kirk participated in the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, Indiana, running a 4.47 40-yard dash.
Kirk said he was happy with how he’s performed so far throughout the draft processes and was happy to have the opportunity to show off his skills alongside his teammates.
“I thought it went really well, I was super happy with my performance and it was just really good to be back around my teammates,” Kirk said. “I thought [Damion] Ratley had a great day, everybody that was out there, I thought, had a great day — just us a unit — we were able to show what we were working on and show these scouts what more we have to offer.”
Throwing to the wide receivers was former Heisman trophy winner Johnny Manziel. Following the Pro Day work out, Manziel — who is in the middle of his NFL comeback efforts — said today’s Pro Day was not about him, but rather than the players who are hoping to reach the NFL for the first time.
“Like said the other day, this isn’t really about me,” Manziel said. “It’s about the guys thay we have out here getting drafted from A&M.”
Manziel thanked A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher for allowing him to participate in Pro Day, Manziel said he saw the invitation to throw on social media.
“I need to thanks to Coach Fisher,” Manziel said. “Seeing that on Twitter and for him to just be like that and roll out the red carpet … Especially at a time in my life where I don’t feel like I’ve made this school exactly proud the whole time. For him be like that — I’ve only met him twice, but he’s been great to me both times — I want to say thank you to him, Christian [Kirk] and the rest of the guys for allowing me come and be a part of it.”
Armani Watts, who participated in select drills at the combine which excluded the 40-yard dash, said he was thankful to finally have the opportunity to show his speed and have another opportunity to showcase his skills. 
“It’s pretty exciting, you don’t get this opportunity many times, so you have to come out here and give it your all and compete” Watts said. “[I] just wanted to go out there and show them my abilities and what I can bring to the field.”
Also in attendance were former A&M players such as 2017 No. 1 NFL overall draft pick Myles Garrett, Mike Evans, Jerrod Johnson quarterbacks Trevor Knight, Conner McQueen and Jake Hubenak.
Fisher said Pro Day is a day that every collegiate player hopes to partake in.
“This is the final thing for these guys after they graduate from school or done with their [collegiate] playing career,” Fisher said. “Just like you want to go out and get a job. It’s what they’ve performed for their whole life since they were five or six years old for most of them. This is the day that they are trying to impress to [be able to] have a future in the league.”
The first round of the NFL Draft will begin April 26 and will be held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.