No. 10 A&M dominates over SFA after sweeping Arkansas

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

Tori Vidales up to bat Wednesday night against Stephen F. Austin.

Texas A&M (31-6) defeated Stephen F. Austin (16-19) in run-rule fashion Wednesday with pitcher Trinity Harrington tossing a no-hitter. The No. 10 Aggies entered the contest after sweeping SEC-rival Arkansas. 
The Aggies regained momentum after a three-game skid two weeks ago. The offensive explosion led the Aggies to outscore the Razorbacks 29-5 throughout the weekend. The A&M offense continued to roll Wednesday night at the Aggie Softball Complex. 
Sophomore transfer pitcher Trinity Harrington pitched five complete innings for the Aggies. 
Harrington, who has been limited in the circle for the maroon and white due to injury, pitched her first career no-hitter in the effort. Harrington said she felt comfortable in the circle for the Aggies.
“This is my very first no-hitter ever,” Harrington said. “I felt really relaxed, there was no tightness, no pain in my arm. I’m usually tight in my arm, so it was an odd sensation but it worked in my favor.”
The Aggie offense continued to dominate at the plate. Behind the efforts in the circle by Harrington, the Aggies amassed nine runs on eight hits. Reigning SEC player of the week Ashley Walters hit a two-run home run to extend the Aggie lead to nine in the bottom of the fourth inning, which would be the decisive score.
Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said she was pleased with the way her team performed. Evans also said she was proud of the team effort to help Harrington reach the no hitter.
“Trinity really set the tone for us,” Evans said. “She was a commanding presence on the mound today. Our defense made some good plays, there were three in particular that were challenging. That’s how you get no-hitters, you get someone to step up to make a great play.”
The Aggies will travel to Tennessee this weekend to take on the University of Tennessee Volunteers. The series will be broadcast on SEC Network+ and ESPNU.