No. 11 Aggies dominate Razorbacks

A&M women’s tennis defeats Arkansas 4-1
Photo by Hannah Harrison
Fifth year Sydney Fitch plays defense during Texas A&M’s game against SMU on Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)

No. 11 Texas A&M women’s tennis visited the Arkansas Razorbacks at the Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Arkansas on Sunday, April 7.

Beginning with doubles play, the Razorback duo of senior Lenka Stara and junior Grade O’Donnell claimed the first set over the Aggies’ freshman Lucciana Perez and Jeanette Mireles, 6-4, while the No. 5 Maroon and White duo of junior Mary Stoiana and sophomore Mia Kupres struck back with a win of their own in the second match, 6-3.

The Razorbacks claimed the first point of the day after the duo of graduate Kelley Keller and sophomore Carolina Gomez Alonso took down the Aggies’ fifth-year Sydney Fitch and sophomore Daria Smetannikov, 6-1.

Moving onto singles play on Court 3, Perez captured the first point of the day for the Maroon and White with a defeat over the Razorbacks’ senior Indianna Spink in a quick two-set match, 6-1, 6-1.

Continuing singles play on Court 6, A&M junior Ellie Pittman granted the Maroon and White their first lead of the day with a cruising victory over Arkansas graduate Kacey Harvey, 6-0, 6-1, respectively.

On Court 4, Mireles brought the Aggies within 1 point of victory with a win over Stara in a one-sided match, 6-2, 6-3, respectively.

Capturing the victory for the Aggies on Court 1, No. 1 Stoiana outdueled No. 26 Gomez in a quick match, 6-2, 6-2.

Unable to finish their matches, the Aggies’ Kupres and Smetannikov were in the lead over their opponents Keller and senior Morgan Cross.

With a display of hard work and skill, the Aggies captured their tenth conference win and improved to 18-6 overall. The Maroon and White will look to improve their record as they take on Auburn on Friday, April 12 at home at the Mitchell Tennis Center.