No.11 Texas A&M Softball sweeps Georgia Southern after Cuyos walks-off in game two

Photo by File

Freshman Keeli Milligan increased her stolen base total to a nation-leading 39 in the Aggies’ weekend series against Georgia.

No. 11 Texas A&M swept Georgia Southern Tuesday in a midweek match up in preparation for conference play this weekend. A&M narrowly defeated the Eagles 13-10 and 3-2 to move to 25-2 on the season.

In game one, the Aggies had a 3-0 lead heading into the third inning, however the Georgia Southern offense came alive in the top portion of the inning, scoring five runs on five hits. A&M later responded by cutting the Eagle lead to one after the fourth inning.

After Georgia Southern tacked on another run, the Aggie offense ignited after freshman Kaitlyn Alderink hit a grand slam in an eventual seven run inning for the maroon and white. Senior Cali Lanphear added two more runs to the Aggie lead in the final offensive frame extending the A&M lead to 13-10. With the win, senior pitcher Katie Marks earned her seventh victory to remain perfect in the circle this season for the Aggies.

However, the second match-up of the day proved to be a tougher contest for the Aggies. Most of the game was scoreless until the fifth inning when Georgia Southern took a 2-0 lead.

The Aggies responded in the bottom of the sixth inning after sophomore Ashley Walters hit a two run homer to tie the game at two apiece. A&M won the game in walk-off fashion after sophomore Kristen Cuyos hit a line drive to center field allowing Lanphear to easily score.

Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said she was pleased with the way her team responded after trailing Georgia Southern for the majority of the second game.  

”It was great to see our kids fight,” Evans told 12thman.com “It isn’t always going to be easy, and you have to know that your kids can compete no matter what and they did tonight.”
The Aggies will be back in action Friday at 6:30 p.m. as they host No. 6 LSU to kick-off conference play at the Aggie Softball Complex.