Texas A&M is scrambling to implement changes for the new Title IX regulations by Aug. 1, with officials hoping the new rules will improve cases. Some victims aren’t so hopeful, however. (File photo by Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
A&M scrambles to meet compliance for new Title IX rules by August
Stacy Cox, News Reporter • May 1, 2024

After being stalled for two years, the Biden-Harris administration established new Title IX regulations. All public institutions, including Texas...

Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Nervous about graduating? Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says there are great opportunities in not knowing your ideal career role. (File photo by Meredith Seaver)
Opinion: Embrace the unknown after graduation
Nihan Iscan, Opinion Writer • April 28, 2024

Graduation countdown has begun, and if you are anything like me, you're probably dealing with a whirlwind of emotions ranging from excitement...

No. 12 A&M takes down Florida, advances to SEC Championship

Connor May
Freshman Lucciana Perez prepares to return a serve at Texas A&M’s match against Alabama at the Outdoor Mitchell Tennis Center on Sunday, April 14, 2024. [Connor May/The Battlion ©]

No. 12 Texas A&M women’s tennis met the No. 14 Florida Gators in the SEC Tournament semifinals at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex at the University of Georgia on Saturday, April 20. With a 4-point victory, the Aggies claimed their 10th consecutive win over the Gators and advanced to the SEC Championship.

Beginning with doubles play on Court 1, the Aggies’ No. 3 duo of sophomore Mia Kupres and junior Mary Stoiana came back from a two-game deficit to steal the set from the Gators’ junior Alicia Dudeney and freshman Malwina Rowinska, 6-3.

On Court 2, the Gators’ duo of graduate Carly Briggs and freshman Qavia Lopez took down the Aggies’ sophomore Nichole Khirin and senior Carson Branstine, 6-4. The first point was taken by the Gators on Court 3 as the Florida duo of sophomore Rachel Gailis and junior Bente Spee survived a close match against the Aggies’ freshman Lucciana Perez and junior Jeanette Mireles, 7-5.

The Maroon and White looked to strike back moving onto singles play. On Court 2, Stoiana proved why she is ranked No. 1 as she took down the Gators’ senior Sara Dahlstrom in a quick two-set match, 6-2, 6-0, respectively. On Court 5, Perez gave A&M its first lead of the day with a victory over Lopez, 6-0, 7-5, respectively.

Moving on to Court 4, Kupres secured the third point of the day for A&M, taking down Dudeney in a two-set match, 6-2, 6-2. Briggs captured the sole singles win for the Gators on Court 3 with a win over Khirin in a competitive match, 7-5, 2-6, 6-1, respectively.

Sending the Maroon and White to their fourth consecutive SEC Tournament Championship, Branstine defeated Gailis in a nail-biting match on Count 1, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, respectively.

Unable to finish their match, Mireles took on Rowinska on Court 6.

“It was a great team win for our group,” coach Mark Weaver said. “The doubles did not go the way that we would have liked, however it was great composure once again in the singles and we ultimately were able to get four wins against a very good Florida team. Now it’s rest and recovery time to get ready to compete for the SEC Tournament title tomorrow.”

The Aggies displayed why they were regular season SEC champs and advanced to their fourth-straight SEC Championship. A&M looks to take back its throne as it takes on the defending champions, the No. 6 Georgia Bulldogs, on Sunday, April 21 in Athens, Georgia.