Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

No. 14 Aggie softball set to host Texas A&M Invitational

Softball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Softball

After a 12-0 victory over the University of Houston on Wednesday night, the No.14 Texas A&M softball team will head back to College Station to host the Texas A&M Invitational this weekend.

The Aggies are currently on a nine-game winning streak which dates back to the Aggie Classic which was held at the Aggie Softball Complex Feb. 12-14. Through the course of their win streak, A&M has risen through the national rankings due to key victories over No. 8 Washington, No. 10 UCLA, No.16 Arizona and UCF who dropped out of the rankings in the latest poll.

Freshman Keeli Milligan, who is tied for second in the nation for most stolen bases, said that facing high caliber teams early in the season allows for the Aggies to gain experience that will help prepare them for this upcoming weekend, and the remainder of season.

“Playing these ranked teams really helps develop us,” Milligan said. “It helps our confidence, builds our skill, and helps us know what our lineup is capable of.”

Pitcher Samantha Show has been a major force for the maroon and white on the mound and at the plate. The freshman holds a 7-0 record on the mound this season. Show said that she is very pleased with the way her team has continued to play despite facing ranked opponents, but hopes that the team can maintain their momentum heading into this weekend.

“We’re just trying to keep the intensity going and not let it get too much to our heads,” Show said. “So we need to keep a clear mind.”

Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said that she expects her team’s dominant performances to continue in the invitational this weekend.

“It’s really important for us to keep our game elevated, we can’t overlook our opponents,” Evans said. “I want to see us go out there this weekend and dominate, if we really are the 14th ranked team in the country, we need to look like it all the time despite the opponent.”

The Aggies will host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Indiana and UTEP for the Texas A&M Invitational Feb. 25-28 at the Aggie Softball Complex.