No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

No. 17 A&M women’s basketball defeats Arkansas 104-60

Photo by By Dalia Muayad

Aggies caught up to the Gators in the fourth quarter after halftime scores of 37-43. 

The No. 17 Texas A&M women’s basketball team posted 104 points, the most points in a conference game since 1983, defeating Arkansas 104-60 Thursday night.

The Aggies (21-8, 10-5 SEC) got out to an early lead against the Razorbacks, closing the first quarter on a 19-7 run, and holding a 28-17 lead at the end of the first quarter.

The maroon and white carried their dominant run into the second quarter, and outscored Arkansas 27-16 in the quarter. The Aggies held a 45-33 at the half. Senior center Khaalia Hillsman led A&M in scoring in the half, netting 13 points on 66-percent (6-of-9) shooting from the field. Junior forward Anriel Howard grabbed 12 of the Aggies’ 30 first half rebounds.

A&M shot a game-high 78 percent (14-of-18) from the field in the third quarter and 83 percent (5-of-7) from behind the arc. The maroon and white outscored Arkansas 36-14 in the third quarter, to extend their lead to 91-47.

All five of A&M’s starters finished the game in double figures and freshman guard Chennedy Carter had a game-high 21 points. With the commanding lead, A&M head coach Gary Blair was able to utilize his bench players, and get them valuable experience before the SEC Tournament.

The Aggies will return to the hardwood as they host No. 11 Missouri at Reed Arena on Sunday afternoon. The game will be televised on SEC Network with tipoff slated for 3:00 p.m.