No. 17 Texas A&M defeats No. 13 Mississippi State 9-2 behind Shewmake grand slam

Braden+Shewmake
Photo by File
Braden Shewmake

It was an impressive performance for No. 17 Texas A&M as it pounded No. 13 Mississippi State 9-2 in the opening game of a three-game series. It was an important win too, as seven teams are within one game of each other at the top of the SEC standings.

The Aggies got on the board first, scoring three runs in the second inning. However, the game’s biggest highlight came from freshman Braden Shewmake in the fourth inning when he brought home four runs for the Aggies with a grand slam. The ball was hit up the right field line, and stayed left just long enough to be fair.

“It’s always nice to get one in a big game like that,” Shewmake said about his grand slam. “You know Brigham [Hill] is up there pitching his guts out. We have got to stay behind him and keep trying to score runs for him, so anytime we can get a run on the board is huge.”

Brigham Hill had a strong night on the mound, pitching seven innings and striking out six batters. The junior’s only real hiccup came in the fourth inning when he gave up two runs to the Bulldogs, but he did well to get out of a tough position.

“I think that was the turning point in the game,” Hill said of his fourth inning escape.

Seniors Nick Choruby and Walker Pennington also provided some offensive assistance to Hill. Choruby recorded two RBI on three hits while Pennington drove in two runs as well.

“Any time you play well it’s always good for your confidence,” Choruby said, “but you have got to come out the next day ready to go.”

Texas A&M brought in freshman Jason Ruffcorn to close out the game in the top of the ninth inning. Ruffcorn made quick work of the Mississippi State batters, striking out three consecutive Bulldogs.

“It’s a nice win, but that’s all it is, one win,” head coach Rob Childress said. “We have to come out and play well tomorrow. We need to continue to play maybe a little bit better defense than we did tonight, but also try to do what we have done offensively for the last five games.”

Game two of this highly anticipated SEC series will continue Friday at Olsen Field, with first pitch at 6:30 p.m. CT.