No. 18 Aggies defeat Abilene Christian at Olsen Field

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Junior catcher Cole Bedford runs to first base. 

Tuesday evening, No. 18 Texas A&M hosted Abilene Christian as part of a non-conference, in-state showdown, which saw the Aggies beat the Wildcats 8-2.
A&M’s pitching rotation also played a significant factor in the game as seven pitchers were used throughout the game, combining for seven strikeouts, limiting ACU to two runs and six hits.
A&M head coach Rob Childress said he was impressed with his pitchers, namely their calm demeanor.
“It all started on the mound. I’m really proud of first two left-handers for working fast, and attacking the strike zone and pitching with a lot of poise and confidence,” Childress said.
In the bottom of the second inning, junior catcher Cole Bedford’s deep centerfield home run ignited the Aggies offensive production, driving in three runs to give A&M the lead.
Bedford’s hit got the offense going as the Aggies recorded hits through the next three innings, one of which was a single by freshman infielder Will Frizzell that drove home sophomore outfielder Logan Foster in the bottom of the third inning to put A&M up 4-0.
In the seventh inning, ACU got their first run on the board. The Aggies responded with five hits as they exploded in the inning, scoring four runs. A&M loaded the bases with no outs and sophomore shortstop Braden Shewmake drove in freshman center fielder Zach DeLoach to extend A&M’s lead.
Junior catcher Hunter Coleman drove in junior second baseman Michael Helman in the seventh. Shewmake then scored on a wild pitch. Later, Coleman scored the last run of the inning.
Following the win, Helman said he credited the pitchers and hitters for their performance in the win.
“The pitching staff came out and just shoved all night, and even when they did give up runs our hitters came through and got those back,” Helman said.
The midweek game started off with freshman outfielder Zach DeLoach snagging a pop fly in centerfield off the first pitch of the day.
This play was quickly followed by a single by ACU’s Caleb Kyle, who would steal second base on the following play. The remainder of the inning would prove a defensive struggle between the teams as both failed to get on the board.
Senior left-handed pitcher Kaylor Chafin earned the start for A&M. Chafin pitched the first three innings, allowing only one hit during that time.
“I was just trying to be aggressive at the start,” Chafin said. “I feel that I’ve been passive lately, so I just went right at the hitters and tried to draw strikes. I feel that it helps with my confidence a lot that they trust me to get this together, and try to help the team with what I can.”
Freshman Dustin Saenz came in for relief in the fourth inning. Sanez pitched three innings, allowing two hits.
“I felt great, just getting back to these innings,” Saenz said. “I haven’t thrown in quite a few months, but getting out there and competing with my fastball and my curveball was really good.”
The Aggies improve to a 30-11 overall record and are 9-9 in conference play. The Aggies will travel to face Mississippi State Friday at 6:30 p.m. CT.