No. 18 A&M softball goes undefeated at Mary Nutter Classic

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

It was a beautiful day at the Aggie Softball complex, with temperatures in the eighties. 

After three days of grueling play, No. 18 Texas A&M softball returns to Aggieland with a perfect 15-0 record. The maroon and while spent three days in California at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Cathedral City. 
On the last day off the Classic, the Aggies faced two nationally ranked teams to close out the tournament. A&M defeated No. 23 BYU, on an offensively charged game as the Aggies scored the most runs this season. Sophomore Riley Sartain and junior Erica Russell both homered in the slugfest which included 10 Texas A&M hits and two stolen bases.
The final game of the tournament the Aggies faced No. 14 Michigan. The Aggies took the lead in the bottom of the first inning after sophomore Keeli Milligan scored off an RBI single from junior Ashley Walters. Junior Kristen Cuyos added to the Aggie lead in the bottom of the third inning after hitting her third home run of the season to defeat the Wolverines 3-0 and go undefeated for the third straight weekend.
The Aggies were able to jump to a 3-0 start at the Classic after a series of strong wins Thursday and Friday. A&M defeated Long Beach State and No. 1 Florida State on day one.
A&M rolled past LBSU to a 5-0 victory in the first game of the classic. That same day, the Aggies upset top ranked FSU via the long ball off the bat of sophomore Kaitlyn Alderink and a 15 strikeout performance from sophomore Samantha Show. 
Friday, A&M continued to roll on as they defeated No. 21 Arizona State in an extra-inning thriller. A&M won off a walk off double to the wall off the bat of Show. 
Following the tournament, Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans – who won her 800 game at the helm of the softball program – took to twitter to applaud her team’s performance this weekend which allowed A&M to remain perfect after 15 games. 

The Aggies will be back in action March 1 at the Aggie Softball Complex as they host Houston at 6 p.m.