No. 18 Texas A&M’s sixth inning comeback helps Aggies defeat Lamar 2-1 on opening day

Softball
Photo by File
Softball

Despite a slow start and an error to open the first game of the season, No. 18 A&M managed to recover and emerge victorious on opening day after a two-run sixth inning over Lamar University, defeating the Cardinals 2-1.
In what was a slow night for the Aggies on offense, A&M relied on their defense to keep them in the game. By the top of the fifth inning the Aggies were desperately in search of spark to help get their momentum going. Junior outfielder Erica Russell made a spectacular catch as she ran into the wall to keep Lamar from attempting to extend their lead.

After the game, Russell said in the heat of the moment everything ironically moved in slow motion which allowed her to make the web-gem type play to help her team out.
“Honestly I saw it come in slow motion,” Russell said. “I was like I have to make this catch for my pitcher. I wanted to get out of the inning and score runs because we were behind. We just needed to get the job done so I said to myself, alright I’m going to go catch it.”
In the bottom of the sixth inning, junior shortstop Kristen Cuyos had an RBI single, which allowed junior first baseman Tori Vidales to score the first run of the game. Sophomore pitcher Samantha Show delivered a crucial RBI double that gave the Aggies the lead when they needed it the most.
“Personally my mind was going a thousand miles per minute,” Show said. “I couldn’t slow myself down at all till that last at-bat and I think that was the deal for everyone. We were all so pumped and ready for game day that we had to settle down a little bit and we just came around that last inning.”
In the circle, Show pitched a complete game, allowing only two hits with one earned run. Show also struck out six of the batters she faced and gave up two walks in 28 batters she faced.
Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said she was pleased with the way her team was able to fight back and earn the victory.
“We struggled initially.” Evans said. “I thought we played tight which surprised me. I expected us to play a lot looser, but really proud of our team for hanging in there and finding a way to win, being down in the bottom of the sixth and not panicking. We got some big timely hits when we needed them. I thought Sam Show was terrific on the mound and stepping up and getting the game winning RBI. Then Erica Russell making that catch. I really believe that if she doesn’t make that catch, we don’t win the game, that was a phenomenal catch out there.”
The Aggies will be back in action tomorrow as they face Central Michigan at 12:15 p.m. in their second game of the Aggie Classic.