No. 2 Aggie women’s swimming to host Last Chance Meet Saturday

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

South Carolina Junior Emma Barksdale, junior Syndey Pickrem and senior Bethany Galat swim backstroke during the women’s 400-yard individual medley.

The No. 2 Texas A&M women’s swimming and diving team will host the Texas A&M Last Chance Meet this weekend.

The team just earned their third consecutive Southeastern Conference Championship title on Sunday, outscoring runner-up Georgia with 1,319 points to their 1,030 points.

The Aggies hold a season record of 7-1, with a conference record of 3-0.

This is the Aggies’ last meet before they start NCAA Championships competition. This meet kicks off March 14 and will wrap up on March 18.

Several Aggies broke records throughout the five-day SEC meet.

Senior Sydney Pickrem was instrumental in the Aggies’ SEC success, earning three individual wins and a relay win. She set records with all of her individual wins. Her 200 breast time of 2:04.62 set an SEC meet record, and ultimately earned her the SEC Commissioner’s Trophy, along with Tennessee’s Erika Brown, for high point scorer.

Pickrem also added a school record, as well as a pool record, in the 400 IM. Her time of 3:59.30 earned her first place in the event. Her first-place 200 IM time 1:52.69 set school, pool, and SEC meet records.

Senior Lisa Bratton broke her own school record in the 200 back, lowering her time to 1:49.83. She became the first Aggie to break the 1:50 mark in the event. Bratton also notched a lifetime best in the 100 back with a time of 51.10. The performance earned her third place.

Bratton was also part of the runner-up 200 medley relay team, comprised of senior Jorie Caneta, freshman Jing Quah, and sophomore Raena Eldridge, that surpassed their season-best time going into the race.

Freshman Jing Quah shaved over two seconds off her season-best 200 fly time, earning first place with a 1:53.05 time.

The Aggies’ final meet before NCAA Championships kicks off on Friday at the Rec Center Natatorium and will wrap up on Sunday, Feb. 25.