No. 2 men’s golf finish runner-up at General Hackler Invitational

Photo by Photo via 12th Man

Sophomore Chandler Phillips finished tied for 127th at the NCAA Championships. 

No. 2 Texas A&M men’s golf traveled to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this weekend in search of their third consecutive victory. The Aggies came up just short, finishing in second place at the General Hackler Championship with a total score of 11-under par (853). The team has now finish in the top-two in seven of their eight tournaments this season.  
“The guys are pretty disappointed we couldn’t get the victory.” Texas A&M head coach J.T. Higgins said to 12thman.com. “They battled their tails off but came up a little bit short.”
Texas A&M entered the day four shots back of Georgia Tech. The Aggies managed to keep it close for most of the final round, but the Yellow Jackets pulled away by tournament’s end, winning with a total score of 16-under par (848).
“We couldn’t get much momentum,” Higgins added to 12thman.com. “Every time things would start to go our way we’d three-putt or make a bad bogey that derailed things. We cut the lead to two with three to go but a Georgia Tech hole-in-one put us down by four and we started to need to hit birdies to try to catch up or hope they would make a mistake. We played hard and Georgia Tech played a terrific three days of golf. In reality, the finishing holes of the second round was what got us. We gave away too many shots and weren’t able to make it up today.”
Dan Erickson, who was named SEC player of the week after his win in Louisiana at the end of last month, led the way for the Aggies this weekend, finishing in a tie for fourth at four-under par (212). The sophomore now has three top-five’s in four events this season. Erickson was top-three in par 5 scoring for the tournament (-6).
Chandler Phillips tied for 11th this weekend with a total score of two-under par (214). His final round score of 69 jumped him seven spots up the leaderboard. The junior has a stroke average of 70.58 this season.
Senior Andrew Paysse and sophomore Josh Gliege both tied for 15th this weekend at one-under par (215). Paysse led par 3 scoring (-2), while Gliege was top-10 in par 5 scoring (-5) and was one of only eight players to record an eagle in the tournament.
Freshman Walker Lee finished in a tie for 31st at three-over par (219), making all competing Aggies come home with top-third finishes.
Competing as an individual, sophomore Brandon Smith had a strong week, finishing in a tie for seventh at three-under par (213), tied for his collegiate best showing. The sophomore fired three consecutive rounds of 71, making him the only player in the field to shoot under par in all three rounds.
The Aggies’ next action will come next weekend from March 18-20 when they will compete in the Floridian Invitational in Stuart, Florida.