No. 20 Soccer defeats Ole Miss

Photo by By Meredith Seaver

Senior midfielder Mikaela Harvey successfully dodges two Ole Miss defenders as she approaches the Ole Miss penalty area.

The No. 20 Texas A&M soccer team hosted the Ole Miss Rebels on Friday night at Ellis Field and came out with the win 1-0. With the win, the Aggies improve to 11-2-1 (6-1 SEC) and the Rebels fall to 10-4-1 (3-4 SEC).
“Thought we played hard tonight,” Texas A&M head coach G Guerrieri said. “You could tell that we were a team that had eight players out of the lineup. That was our message at halftime, that it was going to come to who wanted it more.”
The first half saw multiple attempts on goal from both teams, with none getting too close for either side. The best chance for A&M came in the 7th minute when Aggie junior Brittany Crabtree had a chance right in front of the goal, but it was saved by Ole Miss keeper Marnie Merritt.
Ole Miss’ best chance came in the 43rd minute, when Rebel freshman Channing Foster sailed a shot just over the head of Aggie keeper Cosette Morche and the crossbar. Foster led the Rebels in the first half with three shots, while Crabtree and Aggie senior Mikaela Harvey led A&M with 2 shots on goal each in the first half.
The second half was a bit rougher and quicker than the first. Ole Miss’ best chance of the half came in the 58th minute when sophomore Julia Phillips took a shot that was saved by Aggie keeper Cosette Morche and the ball bounced around in front of the Aggie goal before sailing over the net and out-of-bounds.
The first goal of the game was scored in the 88th minute when Aggie senior Mikaela Harvey slotted one in the back of the net while falling down to give the Aggies the win.
“[Harvey] has been one of the most influential signings we’ve ever had at this program,” Guerrieri said. “Last year, she had to put the team on her shoulders for some spells, and her and [Stephanie] Malherbe have been spectacular, they are the role models of how all Aggie soccer players should play.”
The Aggies finished with 16 shots, 11 on goal, 7 corners, and 4 saves. Ole Miss finished with 14 shots, 4 on goal, 4 corners, and 10 saves.
The Aggies will be back in action next Thursday as they travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to take on the LSU Tigers. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.