No. 24 A&M softball opens season to 4-1 record after Aggie Classic

Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun

A&M went 1-1 in the two games against No. 7 UCLA.

No. 24 Texas A&M softball kicked off their season by going 4-1 at the Aggie Classic Feb. 12-14 at the Aggie Softball Complex.
The Aggies opened their season with a victory over No. 7 UCLA with sophomore transfer pitcher Trinity Harrington earning the start in the circle. Harrington pitched a complete game striking out 10 Bruins and allowing one run on the day.
In game two, A&M faced the Wichita State Shockers.  A&M scored a run in the top of the first inning but the Shockers would respond scoring two runs in the top of the third. In the bottom half of the third inning, the Aggies would respond to tie the game at 2 apiece.  A&M won the game in walk-off fashion after a 2 RBI double from freshman Kaitlyn Alderink, putting the Aggies ahead of the Shockers 4-3.
Freshman pitcher Samantha Show, who pitched 8 complete innings and had 15 strikeouts in her debut for the maroon and white, said that despite the amount of innings she played she was pleased with the way she pitched.
“All my pitches were working, which was really nice,” Show said. “Usually three or four work but all five of my pitches were working which really changes the whole game.”
On day two of the Aggie Classic, A&M faced Colorado State for the first time followed by a rematch versus No. 7 UCLA. The Aggies defeated the Rams 3-0 to improve their overall record to 3-0 on the season. However, the Aggies suffered their first loss of the season 7-3 in the second game to UCLA.
Sunday marked the end of the Aggie Classic with the Aggies facing Wichita State. This meeting between the Aggies and the Shockers had a different outcome than that of the first game. Sophomore Tori Vidles had two solo homeruns for the day en route to a 9-1 run rule victory over the Shockers. Vidales said that she made changes to her swing that attributed to her success at the plate.
“We were working on some things,” Vidales said. “I was not in it completely with my swing. I was trying to figure out what I was doing. I figured it out and I was able to walk in and make adjustments and that’s what made me so successful the last two games.”
Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said she was satisfied with what she saw from her team during the weekend. Evans also said she hopes to see her team make adjustments that will help them perform even better.
“I was pleased with our play, I think we can do some things a bit better,” Evans said. “But overall I liked our fight. For our pitchers to come out the way they did giving us a legit chance to win all five games I was really pleased with that.”
Texas A&M will be back in action on Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex as they host Sam Houston State at 6 pm.