No. 3 A&M Equestrian defeats No. 6 Baylor

Photo by Photo by Ana Casas

After defeating both No.1 Georgia and Delaware State last weekend, A&M took home five MOP honors.

The No. 3 Texas A&M equestrian team defeated No. 6 Baylor 14-4 at the Hildebrand Equestrian Center on Saturday.

The Aggies dominated both the Hunt and Western Seat competitions, and swept Most Outstanding Player awards. Senior Madison Bohman (Reining), senior Avery Ellis (Horsemanship), senior Rachel Hake (Flat), and senior Alex Desiderio (Fences) earned the four accolades.

The Aggies took control of the meet early, going 4-1 in Equitation on the Flat. Sophomore Brianna Peddicord was the first Aggie rider of the day, barely defeating Brittney Mirkov 65-64. Junior Rebekah Chenelle topped Madison Day 75-69, Desiderio defeated Rachael Davis 77-69, and Hake beat Grace Thiel 77-71. Senior Maddie Swem fell to Rachel Van Allen 76-72.

Texas A&M added to their lead with a 3-1 win in Equitation over Fences. Freshman Caroline Dance started off the matchup with a narrow 82-81 victory over Gabby Conte. Both Desiderio and Hake also had narrow wins, defeating Madison Day and Mirkov 85-83 and 82-80. Freshman Rhian Murphy fell to her opponent, Shannon Hogue, 83-73. Chenelle and her opponent Abby Jorgenson tied at 77.

The Aggies swept the Horsemanship contest, with four wins and a tie. A&M senior Bailey Cook and Baylor’s Kaylee Mellott each scored a 72.5 for a tie. Ellis and freshman Alex Albright each scored 73.5 to defeat Clara Johnson and Elizabeth Forney by score of 73.5-66 and 73.5-73. Junior Sarah Orsak topped Charlotte Green 72-60.

The Reining matchup was the closest of the day, with the Aggies pulling away with the 3-2 win after junior Kalee McCann’s 70.5-70 win over Abbi Dremel. Bohman topped Baylor’s Kaylynn DeBernard 70.5-69. Sophomore Ashton Dunkel narrowly defeated Georgia Smith 67.5-66.5. Sophomore Courtney Yohey dropped a close 70-69.5 decision to Baylor’s Carly Salter. Junior Haley Franc fell to Green 71-67.

Texas A&M will host Georgia on March 10. The meet will start at 11 a.m. at the Hildebrand Equine Center.