No. 5 Aggie softball move to 19-1 following Texas A&M Invite Sweep

Softball
Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
Softball

The 2017 Texas A&M Invite was cut a day short due to inclement weather. However, No. 5 softball left the wet weekend undefeated.
After the games on Saturday were canceled due to inclement weather, the Aggies played on a modified schedule which featured a rematch between the teams they faced on Friday afternoon.
The Aggies faced the Georgetown Hoyas in game one of the day. Junior Ashley Walters gave A&M the early 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning off a three-run home run to center field.  Georgetown threated in the bottom half of the inning with a runner on third base but were unable to drive in the run home.
A&M tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the second inning. Walters once again executed at the plate giving the maroon and white a 6-0 lead heading into the top of the third inning.
The Aggies scored two more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to take the win over Georgetown via the run rule. The Aggies moved to 18-1 on the season
Much like the first game, the A&M offense continued to roll in game two against UTSA. The roadrunners threatened to take the early lead in the top of the first inning, however, junior Lexi Smith was able to get out of the jam.
In the bottom of the third inning, freshman Kelbi Fortenberry doubled to right allowing freshman Sarah Hudek to score. Sophomore Riley Sartain homered on a 3-1 count to right field for her fourth long ball of the season to give the Aggies the 5-0 lead in the fifth inning.
A&M tacked on three more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to take the 8-0 lead in to effectively end the game an inning early.
A&M will be back in action March 8 as the travel to Huntsville take on the Lady Bearkats.