No. 5 A&M softball upset by Houston Wednesday night at Aggie Softball Complex

Photo by Photo by Carlie Russell

Aggie infield leaves a huddle. 

Wednesday night, No. 5 Texas A&M suffered its first loss to Houston, 1-0 at the Aggie Softball Complex. The Aggies (15-1) are coming off a huge weekend in California, which included an upset over the top ranked team in the nation.
A&M is a team that has outscored its opponents 86-21 in three weeks of play, but the maroon and white were virtually shut down at the plate by Houston’s Savannah Heebner.
In the circle, Heebner struck out five Aggies and only allowed three to reach base via the walk, giving up four hits. Heebner, who pitched a complete game, was the hero for the Lady Cougars on the offensive side of the ball as she was the single player on either side of the field to record and RBI. 
Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans had high praise for Heebner following the game. Evans said her plan of attack on the mound put the A&M offense off balance at the plate. In the top of the third inning, Heebner singled to right field allowing Mariah Garcia to score and give Houston the 1-0 lead.
“She did a great job,” Evans said. “We just didn’t get up there and attack the ball. We couldn’t get anything going or any momentum. She’s the story tonight, she gets the big RBI to beat us and she goes out there and shuts out hitters down.”
The Aggies were unable to capitalize and execute in several occasions. Particularly in the bottom of the sixth inning when the A&M loaded the bases and was unable to drive in the potential tying run which was at third base.
“We certainly had our opportunities, but in the sixth inning bases loaded one out you have to figure you have to get the ball out of the infield. With five and six up to bat and we end up getting a big strike out and then the second baseman made a really nice diving play to throw [Sam] Show out at first.”
Sophomore Samantha Show said the loss was a solid reminder to the team that they still have a lot of work to do and aren’t invincible.
“It’s a humbling experience,” Show said. “We were kind of on a high from being ranked No. 5 and then coming out here it kind of… I don’t want to say that I’m mad because I feel that our pitching staff is doing really well. It’s just the hitting, we’ve been struggling just a bit and it’s just a part of the game we can get better at.”
The Aggies will be back in action Friday as they kick off day one of the Texas A&M Invite against UTSA starting at 3 p.m. at the Aggie Softball Complex.