No. 5 softball rolls past UTSA, Georgetown on day one of Texas A&M Invite

Photo by Photo by Carlie Russell

Junior first baseman Tori Vidales focuses on her swing.

Friday night, No. 5 Texas A&M softball regained its momentum after suffering its first loss of the season earlier this week. The Aggies are playing host to UTSA, Georgetown, and Prairie View A&M for the final non-conference tournament of the season.
The day kicked off with the maroon and white facing UTSA. The A&M offense exploded for 12 runs in the first game of the day which led to a 12-0 run-rule victory. Junior Ashley Walters gave A&M the early 2-0 lead in the first inning after hitting a two RBI double in her first at-bat of the day.
A&M continued to roll on offense in the bottom of the second inning as they tacked on another run to extend their lead to 3-0. Junior infielder Kristen Cuyos opened the ball game up with a three-run shot over the centerfield wall to give A&M the 6-0 advantage. Following a series of at-bats along with the second three-run shot of the inning coming off the bat of sophomore Riley Sartain to put the Aggies up 11-0 in the third inning. The final run of the game came from freshman Miranda Miles who hit her first career home run in the fourth inning. 
First time since her freshman year, Vidales is leading off for the maroon and white.  Following the game, she said that all though the line up was different, it was a change she thought was very beneficial to the team given the fact that they scored 19 runs on the day. 
“After the Houston game we were kind of in a little drag,” Vidales said.“ We just needed something new. I think it works out pretty well because once you get to the bottom of the line up you get Kebli [Fortenberry], Keeli [Milligan] and then me so it would be like a 1-2-3 situation.”
The National Fastpitch Coaches Association reigning national pitcher of the week sophomore Samantha Show earned the win in the circle pitching four complete innings and striking out four batters she faced. Show now moves to 7-0 on the season with a 0.44 earned run average.
The second game of the day featured more offense from the maroon and white as they faced Georgetown for the night cap. In the bottom of the first inning, sophomore Kaitlyn Alderink doubled to left center allowing Junior Tori Vidales – who got on base due to a walk – to score. 
Georgetown’s Gabriela Elvina responded in the top of the second inning with a solo home run to tie the game at one apiece. A&M tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the second inning giving A&M the 3-1 lead over Georgetown. However, in the bottom of the third, the A&M offense once again took off for a four-run inning to extend their lead to 7-1 which would go on to be the final score of the night. 
Junior Lexi Smith picked up her sixth win of the season on a complete game performance in the circle. Smith allowed four hits while striking out 10 of the 26 batters she faced. 
“I felt really confident, just knowing I need to go out there and attack hitters and do better at getting ahead and I think that’s what happened today,” Smith said. 
After the offense was unable to execute plays with runners in scoring position during Wednesday night’s loss against Houston, Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans said it was important for her team to come out today and create offense. The mix up of the lineup allowed for A&M’s offense to come out and score big runs in both games.
“We needed to mix it up a little bit,” Evans said.”We were getting a little stagnant. Its funny to say stagnant because we played five great games and won those but then that Houston game game felt stagnant. It was nice to mix it up and it was exactly want we wanted.”
The Aggies will be back in action tomorrow at 11 a.m. as they host Prairie View A&M.