No. 8 Texas A&M soccer drops opening match against No. 1 Florida State

Photo by File

Florida State quieted A&M soccer’s opening game 

Friday night, the No. 8 Texas A&M soccer team kicked off its season against No. 1 Florida State. The match which was scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. was delayed 30 minutes due to rain and lighting in the area. After nearly an hour of delay play resumed on the long awaited rematch between the soccer heavy weights.
Last season, the Aggies and the Seminoles met in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Championship tournament. The match between the two resulted in 5-0 A&M loss which ended the Aggies’ post season run.
The much anticipated rematch started off with a bang after Florida State freshman Deyana Castellanos scored the go ahead score a minute into the match. However, the A&M defense was able to hold off the FSU attack through the remainder of the game. 
Texas A&M head coach G Guerrieri said that despite the loss, he was happy with the way of his team played against the team who ended their post season run last year.
“I don’t know there can be a worse way to start,” Guerrieri said. “You go down 1-0 in the second minute of the game. The fight our kids had for the rest of the game, to step right up and play them all the way through the night. I was pleased by the way we shook that off and kept going with it and we just ran out of time.” 
Junior Haley Pounds said that having to face the top-ranked team in the nation for the first match of the season helped everyone, especially the freshman, get back into the rhythm of things. 
“I was proud of our team and the way we fought tonight,” Pounds said. “[Florida State] is an amazing team, I thought we played well, this was great for our freshman to come out and play the number one team in the nation.”
The Aggies will be back in action Sunday night as they host Rice at Ellis Field, the match is slated to start at 6 p.m.