No. 9 men’s swim routs SMU to finish out regular season

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Senior Mario Castillo Luna fights off the competition in the breast stroke.

The No. 9 Texas A&M men’s swimming and diving team used two 1-2-3 finishes to climb to a 135-90 victory against rival SMU in their regular season finale.
The Aggies move into the championship season with a 7-1 season record.
It was also senior night for the Aggies, and the eight seniors were honored prior to the meet. The seniors include Brock Bonetti, Mauro Castillo, Tyler Henschel, Cameron Kerr, Clay McAnany, Justin Morey, Duncan Mulleady, and Jonathan Tybur.
Texas A&M took the lead from the start, making the score 15-2 with a 1-2 finish in the 400 medley relay. The first place team, comprised of seniors Bonetti, Tybur, Castillo, and Morey, finished just seconds ahead of the second Aggie team, headed by Mulleady.
Three Aggies topped the 200 free event. Junior Angel Martinez (1:39.78), freshman Sean Morey (1:40.69), and junior Connor Long combined to make the score 40-14 with Texas A&M in the lead.
Texas A&M’s other 1-2-3 finish came in the 200 IM. Bonetti (1:50.03) led junior Austin Van Overdam (1:50.14) and freshman Tanner Olson (1:53.36) in the race.
Martinez also added a win in the 200 fly with a time of 1:46.81. He led sophomore Benjamin Walker in third place (1:48.50) and Van Overdam in fourth (1:53.05). Mulleady (20.64) placed second behind sophomore Adam Koster (20.15) in the 50 free. Sophomore Raiz Tjon-A-Joe followed in fourth place with 21.31.
Junior Sam Thornton led Texas A&M in three-meter diving, with freshman Kurtis Mathews and junior Skylar Lake following in third and fourth place respectively.
Other scorers for the Aggies include Koster in the 100 free (1st, 44.38), sophomore Anthony Kim in the 200 back (1st, 1:45.01), freshman Felipe Rizzo in the 500 free (1st, 4:29.04) and 1000 free (2nd, 9:21.32), Lake in the one-meter diving (1st), sophomore Jake Gibbons in the 1000 free (3rd, 9:30.87), and freshman Gus Karau in the 1000 free (3rd, 9:30.91).
The Aggies will return to the Rec Center Natatorium on Feb. 14-18 when they host the SEC Championships. On Feb. 2-3, the diving team will compete in the AFA Diving Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colorado.