No. 9 Texas A&M shuts down No. 12 Texas’ hope of comeback

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior Mikey Hoehner shouts as he rounds second base after hitting a home run during the game against the University of Texas on April 2 at Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

AUSTIN — Two days before the Texas A&M-Texas game at UFCU Disch-Falk Field, junior catcher Mikey Hoehner thought a groin injury might keep him out of Tuesday night’s rivalry game. However, come gametime, Hoehner decided he felt healthy enough to play.
“I was ready to go,” Hoehner said. “I was like ‘We’ll risk it, and if it feels bad I’ll get pulled out.’”
Hoehner played a key role in helping the No. 9 Aggies past the No. 12 Longhorns 9-6, after his two run home run to left field in the second inning ignited the A&M dugout for the remainder of the game.
Since A&M baseball is one of the few Aggie teams to face longtime rival Texas, everyone wants to play – no matter what obstacles they face.
According to A&M head coach Rob Childress, he didn’t write the starting lineup until about an hour before the game started.
“They needed to go through pre-game [warm ups],” Childress said. “They were the ones that came up and said they were ready to go and wanted the opportunity to play tonight.”
Childress said the second inning changed the momentum of the game in favor of the Aggies, after Texas scored in the bottom of the first to take the early 1-0 lead.
“We gave up a run in the bottom of the first and Texas had all the momentum,” Childress said. “For us to come back and answer was incredibly huge.”
A&M scored two runs in the top of the ninth inning, extending its lead to 9-6 before heading into the bottom of the ninth. Logan Foster singled to center which allowed two A&M baserunners to score, with two outs on the board.
UT had cut the Aggies’ lead to one run in the bottom of the eighth inning after freshman first baseman Hunter Watson mishandled a ball at first base, getting the Longhorns within one run, 7-6.
In the bottom of the seventh inning, UT’s Michael McCann launched a three-run home run into the A&M bullpen to cut into A&M’s lead 7-5.
In the top of the sixth inning, A&M extended its lead after Jonathan Ducoff singled and advanced on an error by Texas left fielder Eric Kennedy, which allowed Braden Shewmake and Cam Blake to score. Texas responded in the bottom half of the sixth inning adding a run, making the game 7-2.
In the top of the fourth, A&M added to its lead after an RBI double off the bat of Shewmake, giving the Aggies the 5-1 lead.
In the opening frame of the game, Texas took the lead after Ryan Reynolds singled to center, allowing Austin Todd to score. A&M responded in the top of the second inning after Ducoff homered to left field, swinging at the first pitch of the at-bat. Ty Coleman singled to center, which set up Hoehner’s two-run home run. Blake then singled, which allowed Foster to score, giving A&M the 4-1 lead early in the game.
Sophomore left-handed pitcher Dustin Saenz earned the start for the Aggies. Saenz had a season best 6.0 innings pitched. The lefty struck out four batters, gave up four hits and walked three.
According to Childress, he decided to take Saenz out of the game after six innings because this was the first time he had pitched this many innings in a game. However, Childress said he thought Saenz pitched a solid game, especially in an environment like Texas.
“The guy was magnificent,” Childress said. “Probably his best performance in a Texas A&M uniform. I couldn’t be more proud of that guy.”
Saenz said the storied history between the two teams played into his performance on the mound as well as helping fuel the rest of the team.
“You can’t beat this,” Saenz said. “Big time Texas rivalry. I fed off that really well. I was on attack the whole game, and I think we grabbed the momentum.”