Off-season timeline

Jan 6

The Aggies hire former Wyoming head coach Dave Christensen as their offensive line coach. Christensen will be in charge of the running game and the offensive line for the Aggies this season.

Jan 19

Texas A&M hires Super Bowl Champion Aaron Moorehead as wide receivers coach from Virginia Tech. Moorehead will fill the void left by David Beaty, who accepted an offer to become the head coach at Kansas. Moorehead is a former NFL wide receiver who played for the Indianapolis Colts from 2003-2007. 

Jan 29 

After speculation that Kyler Murray was going to change his mind about playing for Texas A&M, the incoming freshman sticks with his commitment and pledges his allegiance to A&M. He posts via Twitter, “Following my heart… #GigEm.”

Feb 4

Signing Day occurs across the country and A&M captures three five-star recruits: wide receiver Christian Kirk, defensive tackle Daylon Mack and quarterback Kyler Murray. The Aggies finish with the No. 11 ranked draft class in the country.

Mar 2

Spring football begins for the Aggies. New players such as Christian Kirk see the practice field for the first time.

Apr 12

Spring practice concludes for the Aggies. 

April 30

Two Texas A&M players are selected in the NFL Draft. Offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi is taken 21st overall in the first round by the Bengals. Offensive guard Jarvis Harrison is taken 152nd overall in the fourth round by the New York Jets. Ogbuehi’s selection marks the fifth year in a row that an Aggie was taken in the first round.
May 4
Aggie football coaches announce that Brandon Williams will make the transition to defense and play cornerback.
May 6
Kyler Murray decides against an opportunity in the MLB and tweets, “Opting out of the MLB draft. Looking forward to continuing my football and baseball career at Texas A&M University.”
May 9
The Aggies pick up a late commitment from junior college quarterback Jake Hubenak. The former Blinn College quarterback joins the ensuing QB battle with freshman Kyler Murray and sophomore Kyle Allen. 
Jun 18
Texas A&M’s legendary John David Crow passes away. Crow was the first Aggie to win a Heisman trophy, and in 1956 he led A&M to their first Southwest Conference title since 1941. Crow served as A&M’s associate athletic director from 1983-1989 and was the head athletic director from 1989-1993.
Aug 20
Tate Martell, the number-one, dual-threat quarterback in the class of 2017 commits to Texas A&M. As a high school sophomore, Martell threw for 2,537 yards and 40 touchdowns with only two interceptions for national power Bishop Gorman. He added 433 yards and five touchdowns rushing. The young pocket passer accepted A&M’s offer over Alabama, USC and Arizona State.
Aug 24
After an offseason full of speculation, coach Sumlin announces Kyle Allen as the week one starting quarterback vs. Arizona State.