The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

‘Only the Aggies could do this’

Tim Lai
Kyle Field Construction

Despite record-breaking rainfall in the recent weeks, the Kyle Field renovation has remained on schedule and is set to be ready for the home opener come Sept. 12.  
The consistent progress of the two phase renovation is a testament to the work of over 900 workers who have spent their days and nights building the new Kyle Field.
Phillip Ray, Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs and chair of the Kyle Field Stadium Redevelopment Project Committee, said the new Kyle Field will be second to none.
“We’re in great shape. We’re very pleased,” Ray said. “We do believe that the renovated Kyle Field will be even more superior to the other collegiate facilities around the country. We’re Aggies, we want to be the best, we’ve always had that drive whether it was thirty years ago, ten years ago or tomorrow. We always want to be the best.”
Kyle Field’s new attendance capacity will be 102,512. The decrease in seating from the earlier 106,000 seats is mostly due to ADA compliance and accessibility which ensure attendee safety. The east side press box is now capable of housing 152 members of the written press. All television media is located on the west side where they can gain better views of the action. 
The $450 million renovation was split into two phases that have been spread out over the course of two off-seasons to avoid having to shut down the venue for an entire year, something Ray said sparked criticism.
“There were a lot of people around the country and around the construction business that thought maybe we were taking on more than we could handle and maybe questioned our intellect for trying something this challenging,” Ray said. “But we’ve got a tremendous group of Aggies involved, we’ve got some tremendously loyal and committed workers that work through rain, sleet, snow, all the elements. And you can see in phase one we were ready, we were never behind a single day in phase one and we’ve certainly continued that into phase two and not been behind a single day in phase two thanks to the hard work of a lot of good Aggies and a lot of good workers.”
In regards to a social media photo in circulation depicting lights located on all four corners of the stadium, rumored to project maroon light into the sky following an Aggie win, Ray said the concept has been discussed. 
“Certainly looking for funding on that, that was an enhancement to the project, that’s not part of the base project,” Ray said. “So if a major donor can be found or someone steps forward and explores that we’ve certainly done the ground work on that and we think it would be a tremendous enhancement.”

Ray said the new Kyle Field will be more than just a place for the Aggies to battle their opponents; it will be a part of Aggieland that personifies the hard work and dedication of 900 workers, generations of students, staff and fans.
“That’s why we’re so diligent about remaining on schedule and on budget,” said Ray. “Because people have trusted us with this and entrusted us with the care to construct this thing, and they funded it so we’re going to deliver.”
Ray said at this point in college football, College Station will now have the potential of earning a bid to host the NCAA College Football Playoffs at some point, optimistically, sooner than later.
“We feel like we’ve maybe put some distance between us and second place as far as the actual facility,” said Ray. “We feel like this is the premier venue in collegiate sports.”
In addition to playing host to larger events, the role a stadium like Kyle plays in recruiting is unrivaled, Ray said. 
“When [Coach Kevin Sumlin] brings a new recruit in — some big, five-star recruit — and they come out of this tunnel down here and they look up and they see this, their eyes just absolutely light up and I think that’s part of the larger picture,” Ray said.
Ray said along with everyone else involved in this “legacy project,” he could not be more proud of how things have come along.
“Only the Aggies could do this,” Ray said.