Over 15 Aggies enter football’s transfer portal

Photo by Photo by CJ Smith

Sophomore DL Walter Nolen (0) and junior DL Fadil Diggs (10) combine for a sack during Texas A&M’s game against Auburn on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023 at Kyle Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)

The introduction of the transfer portal in college football has led to consistent turnover on rosters across the country. Players have until Jan. 2, 2024, to decide whether or not they will enter the portal and take their talents to another school.
According to ESPN, nearly 2,000 players have entered the portal as of Dec. 7, a number of which came from Texas A&M. A player doesn’t need to transfer just because they entered the portal, as they can withdraw themselves at any time.
Here is a rundown of the Aggies that have entered the portal.
Note: This article will be updated as players enter or withdraw from the portal or commit to schools.
Raymond Cottrell, freshman wide receiver
Cottrell was the first member of the Maroon and White to enter the transfer portal, announcing his intent to do so during the season on Monday, Nov. 13. The move came a day after the firing of coach Jimbo Fisher.
The four-star Florida product reeled in just one catch this season, a 13-yard touchdown reception in a 47-3 win over Louisiana-Monroe. He also saw the field in wins against New Mexico and Arkansas. Cottrell announced via X that he’ll take an official visit to Kentucky from Dec. 8-10.
On Saturday, Dec. 9, Cottrell announced his commitment to the Wildcats via X.
Max Johnson, sophomore quarterback
Johnson was the first Aggie to announce his next destination. The former LSU starter will head to North Carolina as his third school, he announced on X on Nov. 29.
After starting 14 games at LSU, including a 27-24 win over A&M in 2021, Johnson’s time in College Station was marred by injuries. He entered the 2022 and 2023 seasons as the team’s backup but went on to take the starting role both years. Johnson started three games in 2022 before breaking his thumb, while multiple cracked ribs cut his 2023 short after five starts.
As an Aggie, Johnson passed for 1,969 yards and 12 touchdowns with two rushing touchdowns and five interceptions. As a Tiger, he passed for 3,884 yards and 35 touchdowns with three scores on the ground and seven picks.
Remington Strickland, sophomore offensive lineman
Following a redshirt season in 2021, Strickland made nine appearances over the past two years, including seven times this season. A three-star recruit out of Fort Bend Christian Academy in Sugar Land, he was used in a backup role.
He has reported offers from the likes of Tennessee, USC and Louisville on X.
On Dec. 18, Strickland announced his commitment to TCU on X.
Jordan Spasojevic-Moko, junior OL
Spasojevic-Moko was the top junior college recruit in 2021 out of Snow College after playing rugby in his native Australia. He made three appearances in a redshirt 2021 campaign before seeing the field five times with two starts in 2022.
An injury cut the rest of Spasojevic-Moko’s 2022 season short, and he played in A&M’s 2023 season-opener versus New Mexico. In early October, he was suspended from the team indefinitely for charges of twice violating a protective order.
He has reported offers from the likes of UTSA, Texas State and New Mexico State on X.
Spasojevic-Moko announced his commitment to Charlotte via social media on Monday, Dec. 11.
Walter Nolen, sophomore defensive lineman
Perhaps the A&M player with the biggest impact to enter the portal thus far, Nolen was a five-star prospect in the Aggies’ No. 1 recruiting class in 2022 and ranked by ESPN as the top recruit in the country. Nolen was a key figure on the defensive line this season, picking up 37 tackles with 8.5 tackles for loss and four sacks.
According to On3, Nolen is currently the top player available in the transfer portal. Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports reported that Tennessee, Michigan, Georgia and Texas are contenders for the Tennessee native.
Nolen reportedly met with newly-hired coach Mike Elko and interim head coach Elijah Robinson before his decision to enter the portal. Wiltfong reported on Friday, Dec. 8, that Nolen would visit Oregon in the coming days.
On Monday, Dec. 11, Chad Simmons of On3 reported that Nolen would visit Ole Miss in the coming days.
On Dec. 19, Nolen announced his commitment was down to the Ducks and the Rebels.
On Dec. 24, Nolen committed to Ole Miss.
James Bailey, freshman OL
Bailey didn’t see the field in 2022 or 2023. The Katy native won a state championship with Paetow High School in 2021.
Jardin Gilbert, junior defensive back
Gilbert has played in 25 games over three seasons with the Aggies, making 12 starts. He started the first two games of 2023 before an injury shut him down for the season.
The Louisiana product had his most productive season in 2022, when he played in 11 games and made 10 starts. That season, Gilbert tallied 61 tackles, six pass deflections and two interceptions against Sam Houston State and Alabama. His 38 solo tackles ranked second on the team.
Over his career, he has 79 tackles, two tackles for loss and eight pass deflections.
On Dec. 15, Gilbert committed to LSU.
LT Overton, sophomore DL
The second five-star to enter the portal from A&M, Overton was rated as the top player in the class of 2023 before reclassifying to graduate a year early. He played in every game this year and all but one in 2022, making three starts that season.
Overton saw a drop in production in his second season in College Station, albeit while totaling 48 tackles, three tackles for loss and a sack over his career. Following the 2022 campaign, he earned the team’s Top Newcomer Award and Strength and Conditioning Freshman Aggie Award.
On Dec. 19, Overton committed to Alabama.
Micaiah Overton, graduate DL
The younger brother of LT Overton, Micaiah arrived in College Station with his brother in 2022 as a transfer from Liberty. He didn’t garner any playing time with the Flames and didn’t see the field with A&M in 2022, but received the Defensive Scout Team award after the season.
His first action came this season when he picked up a tackle versus Louisiana-Monroe and made an appearance against Abilene Christian. Micaiah was recruited to Liberty as a three-star tight end while being named the No. 1 punter in Alabama his junior year of high school.
Jake Johnson, sophomore tight end
The other half to the second set of brothers to enter the portal from A&M, Jake committed to the Aggies in 2022 after older brother Max transferred from LSU. He made five appearances as a four-star freshman in 2022 with just one reception in the season-opener. Off the field, he received the team’s Freshman Academic Award.
Jake took on a significant role on the Aggies’ offense this season, appearing in every game with 24 receptions for 235 and four touchdowns. Three of his scores were thrown by Max.
On Dec. 18, Jake Johnson announced on X that he would be reuniting with his brother and transferring to North Carolina.
Chase Bisontis, freshman OL
New Jersey’s No. 1 recruit in 2023 started all 12 games at right tackle as a true freshman, earning Freshman All-SEC honors for his efforts. With Bisontis, the Aggies’ offensive line allowed two sacks or less in eight games. In three such games, A&M had 40 or more passing attempts.
Bisontis helped give way to a rushing attack that racked up over 200 yards three times and a passing game that threw for more than 300 yards on three occasions.
On Dec. 19, Bisontis withdrew from the transfer portal.
Fadil Diggs, junior DL
Diggs was a force on the A&M defensive line this season, starting all 12 games en route to 36 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, four sacks and two pass deflections. He was named a team captain for his leadership in anchoring one of the nation’s best defensive lines.
The New Jersey product started in each of his eight appearances in 2022 as he dealt with injuries. He received the Aggie Defensive Leadership Award and the Strength and Conditioning Defensive Award in the team’s postseason banquet.
Diggs made 12 appearances in 2021 for a total of 33 games in an A&M uniform. In that time, he amassed 75 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss, eight sacks and three forced fumbles with a blocked kick.
On Dec. 19, Diggs announced his commitment to Syracuse on X. He’ll be reuniting with A&M interim head coach Elijah Robinson, who was hired as the Orange’s defensive coordinator.
Tyreek Chappell, junior DB
Chappell has made 29 starts over 33 appearances with the Aggies, with his most productive season coming as a freshman in 2021. The Philadelphia native was named to the SEC Coaches’ All-Freshman Team with 41 tackles, three tackles for loss, an interception and 10 pass breakups to rank in the top five in the SEC. For his efforts, he earned the program’s Defensive Top Newcomer Award.
Chappell has 106 tackles over his A&M career with six tackles for loss, 26 pass breakups and two interceptions. 2023 saw a slight dip in his production with 21 tackles and 0.5 a tackle for loss.
Deuce Harmon, sophomore DB
Harmon has logged 27 games as an Aggie, compiling 46 tackles with 2.5 tackles for loss, two interceptions and 10 pass deflections. 2023 marked his most productive season with 14 solo tackles, an interception and eight pass breakups.
Harmon was named A&M’s Special Teams Newcomer after the 2021 campaign.
Kent Robinson, freshman DB
After a redshirt 2022 campaign, Robinson saw action in four games this season, logging one tackle and two pass breakups.
Fernando Garza III, sophomore TE
Garza saw nearly all of his playing time on special teams as a tight end down the depth chart. The Katy native received the Offensive Scout Team Award after his redshirt freshman season in 2021.
Evan Stewart, sophomore WR
As a five-star prospect, Stewart was a cornerstone of the Aggies’ No. 1 recruiting class in 2022. The Frisco product brought excellent athleticism to the A&M offense, and he was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team and named a Freshman All-American by The Athletic, ESPN and the Football Writers Association of America.
Injuries have hampered Stewart’s playing time, as he appeared in just eight games this season. He reeled in 38 passes for 514 yards and four touchdowns, good for an average of 13.5 yards per reception. Stewart’s 115 and 142 yards against New Mexico and Miami, respectively, were the first time an Aggie had over 100 receiving yards in back-to-back games since 2019.
Over 18 career games, Stewart has 91 catches for 1,163 yards and six scores. He was named the team’s Top Offensive Newcomer in 2022 after leading SEC freshmen in receiving yards per game at 64.9.
Naquil Betrand, freshman OL
At 6-foot-6 and 340 pounds, Betrand was one of the largest players on the team in 2023, but the Philadlephia native never saw the field.
Isaiah Raikes, junior DL
Raikes played in every game of the past three seasons, compiling 43 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks. 2023 marked his most productive year, as he totaled 17 tackles, three tackles for loss and one sack. He added a pass deflection and forced a fumble. 
The New Jersey product received the team’s Defensive Most Improved Award in 2021 and the Special Teams Mr. Dependable award in 2022.
Jordan Anthony, sophomore WR
The Kentucky transfer saw limited action with A&M, making appearances in four games. All three of Anthony’s receptions this season came against Louisiana-Monroe for a total of 14 yards. He was a consensus four-star prospect out of high school in Mississippi.
Anthony is a speedster, having competed on Kentucky’s track team as well.