Penalties play major role in A&M victory

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior tight end Jace Sternberger ‘s longest reception against Kentucky was 46 yards.

With a combined total of 14 penalties and 77 yards for both teams, Texas A&M made the most of their mistakes to move ahead and defeat the previously undefeated No. 13 Kentucky 20-14.
Flags were flying early in the game, earning A&M two false start penalties in the first half and giving Kentucky one of their own.
The back-and-forth play stinted both teams from scoring and taking a definite lead. However, a penalty by Kentucky late in the second quarter after roughing the passer gave the Aggies the first down they needed to score and tie it up at seven.
Starting sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond said that even with their mistakes, the eventual overtime win was a confidence booster for the team heading into next week’s matchup with South Carolina.
“It gives us a little more confidence,” Mond said. “[It was] a great win for us, a great team win, but definitely got to get back tomorrow and Monday and get ready for that next opponent.”
The second half brought similar false start and holding penalties. The Wildcats saw the repercussions of the consistent penalties, after losing 40 yards and ending their drive on four out of the five penalties in the second half.
Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops said their mistakes costs them much-needed possessions and time ahead of the first down line.
“It definitely set us back,” Stoops said. “Coming into this environment, playing that defense, getting behind the chains is not a good situation. We were behind the chains most of the night. Whether it would be penalties, incomplete pass, sacks, ineffective runs, we were behind the chains.”
Despite their win, A&M had their own share of penalties and ended the game with six for a loss of 25 yards. Junior tight end Jace Sternberger accounted for one of these and said the penalties come with the territory.
“Anytime you make a mistake it’s frustrating,” Sternberger said. ”We try to play a perfect game, but you can never be perfect. … Not everything is always going to go your way, so when it doesn’t, that’s when you have to rise to the top and come together as a team.”