Phillips represents Aggies at NCAA Championships

Photo by Photo via 12th Man

Sophomore Chandler Phillips finished tied for 127th at the NCAA Championships. 

Sophomore Chandler Phillips made the trip to Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill. this past weekend where he competed in the 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championship. Phillips finished in a tie for 127th at 13-over par.
Phillips had a strong start to the tournament, carding a 1-over par 73, landing him on the top half of the leaderboard after the opening round. Phillips struggled in his final two rounds, however, shooting 79 and 77, dropping down the leaderboard where he would eventually miss the cut and not compete in the final round.
Despite a disappointing finish this week in Illinois, Phillips had one of the stronger seasons of any Aggie in Texas A&M school history. He claimed two individual titles this season, winning the Golfweek Conference Challenge and John Burns Intercollegiate, as well as posting a team-leading nine top 10s. Phillips also set a school-record for rounds of par or better in a season with 29.
Phillips’ stellar season did not go unnoticed. He was given First Team All-SEC honors as well as being named to the PING All-Central Region Team with fellow teammate junior Cameron Champ. Considered two of the country’s best players, both have also been named semifinalists for the 2017 Division I Jack Nicklaus National Player of the Year Award.