Powerful pitching pushes Aggies past Georgia, 7-0

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Freshman Asa Lacy was the starting pitcher. 

Texas A&M continued to improve its case to be included in the NCAA Tournament with a convincing 7-0 win over 3-seed Georgia Wednesday afternoon at the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Alabama.
For the second-straight day, the Aggies (38-19) were dominant on the mound, only allowing three hits and eight total base runners.
Freshman Asa Lacy was stellar in just his second career start. The southpaw threw a career-high 6.0 scoreless innings, allowing just three hits while striking out eight. Senior Cason Sherrod was stout in relief, closing the game with 3.0 scoreless innings of his own, striking out five and only allowed one base runner.
At the plate, A&M capitalized in two-out situations, scoring five of its seven runs with two outs.
After an hour-long rain delay, the Aggies scored a pair of runs in the top of the fourth, chasing Georgia starter CJ Smith, who was dominant the first time through the order striking out six.
In the seventh, A&M added major insurance as first baseman Chris Andritsos launched a three-run homer into the Aggie bullpen in left field. Andritsos added an exclamation point in the ninth, sending a towering solo homer over left field again.
With the win, A&M will face the winner of 7-seed Auburn and 2-seed Ole Miss tomorrow at 4:30 p.m. Junior Mitchell Kilkenny is likely to start on the mound.