Primetime and profit: How Texas A&M reached the top of two lists

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

The Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band performs their staple Block T formation.

Everything’s bigger in Texas and football is no exception.
Most watched game on ESPN
Last Saturday, as A&M attempted to upset No. 2 Clemson in the final seconds of the game the 104,794 in the stands at Kyle Field weren’t the only ones closely watching.
With the game being televised nationally on ESPN in its prime time 6 p.m. slot, the Aggies’ and Tigers’ matchup was the most watched game of the weekend, with an audience of 4,486,000 viewers. Not only did the game dominate the viewership this weekend, it also went down as the second most watched ESPN Saturday game since November 2016.
Most valuable program
A&M recently topped Forbes’ list of the most valuable college football programs in the country, with an average of $148 million in revenue and a $107 million profit in the 2014-2016 seasons.
According to the Forbes article, A&M athletic department earned $260 million in contributions aside from donations A&M is one of the top programs in the country in terms of ticket revenue.
Not only does A&M push UT-Austin out of the top spot, but the Aggies also average $15 million more a year.