Putt for gold

AmberPark
Photo by Photo via Twitter (@aggiewomensgolf)
AmberPark

Texas A&M sophomore women’s golfer Amber Park took home the 97th Texas Women’s State Amateur Championship last Friday at the San Antonio Country Club.
Park powered through the championship match against Julia Gregg, a senior at Plano Prestonwood High School who is committed to Arkansas, winning 4-and-3 and never trailed in the match. Park clinched the championship with a 3-foot putt on the 15th hole.
“It was a really great honor to win this tournament,” Park told 12thMan.com. “It means a lot to me. There were a lot of supporters out there. Lots of Aggie supporters, and I’m really thankful I got to play.”
As the fifth-seed in the match-play tournament, Park qualified with a 1-over-par last Tuesday. She took down Louisiana-Monroe’s Scarlett Eaton 2-and-1 in the first round, Austin Westlake High School’s Sadie Englemann 4-and-3 in the quarterfinals and SMU’s Kenzie Wright 3-and-2 in the semifinals en route to the title match.
Park had a stout freshman campaign for the Aggies with three top 10 finishes and six top 20 finishes. She earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors on Feb. 28 after tying for sixth at The Dickson in The Woodlands. Her 96 birdies last season ranked ninth nationally among freshmen.
Also competing for the Aggies at the Texas Women’s State Amateur Championship was sophomore Ariana Saenz, who advanced to the round of 16.

• Amber Park

Photo by Courtesy of 12thMan.com