Q&A — Josh Lambo reflects on experiences, finds home with Chargers

Tanner Garza
Josh Lambo 1

Battalion sports writer Lawrence Smelser caught up with Josh Lambo the day before the NFL Draft. Lambo, who was reportedly picked up in free agency by the San Diego Chargers shortly after the draft, was the placekicker for Texas A&M from 2012 to 2014 and his career long was 50 yards.

This isn’t the first time you’ve been preparing to enter a professional sport. You were drafted by F.C. Dallas in 2008. Of the two drafts which one were you more excited for?

“This one just because it’s so unexpected. At 17, I didn’t know what the heck was going on with soccer. I had seen a lot of success, and I was at the draft, so I knew I was going to get drafted within the first two rounds. With this one, I’ve barely been kicking a football for three years. The fact that I have a chance to get legitimately drafted in the NFL is pretty wild for me, and I’m not sure I’ve entirely wrapped my head around it yet. I have scouts calling me, offensive coordinators calling me—it’s like what is my life now, so it’s a really exciting time.”

What made you change sports from soccer to football?

“My soccer career definitely didn’t pan out how I wanted it to. I mean my first ever professional game I broke my jaw. Half way through my rookie year, about a month after I got done with my jaw surgery, the coach that drafted me got fired and after that it kind of went downhill for me. I never really got a chance to show my talent. When F.C. Dallas declined my fifth year contract, all the other contracts that were offered to me didn’t seem right. I decided the best thing for me was to hang up my boots and go get an education and a big boy job. I figured since I’m going to go college anyways, I might as well try this kicking thing, and it kind of just took off from there.

Did you ever envision yourself as an NFL kicker growing up?

“Oh no! I thought kicking was super boring, and that’s why I never did it. Typically, you go out and kick one field goal and sit out for 20 more minutes. Then, it seemed like the better option. I had a better chance kicking than playing soccer and establishing myself as a keeper in the pro ranks, so I just kind of went for it and here I am.”

Do you support a certain professional soccer team?

“I support Everton. I met Tim Howard and got to hang out with him on numerous occasions. Everton actually offered me a contract when I was 16, but I didn’t have my European paper work, so I couldn’t go. It never worked out. Everton is the people’s club. Goodison Park is a great stadium and has a great atmosphere with awesome fans, and that’s kind of who I’ve supported.”

During your time at A&M what has been your most memorable experience as a kicker?

“It’s got to be the game winner at Ole Miss, I mean it was my second ever start, and I think my fifth ever field goal. I’m kind of off to the side getting ready in case it comes down to a field goal. [I’m] kicking into the net, and I see there’s four seconds left—I’m like ‘Oh man! Do I need to be on the field right now? What’s going on?’ Coach Sumlin called a timeout, and Jake Matthews came up to me—he was the long snapper at the time, and he gave me some words of encouragement. He went out there and snapped the ball, Kaser held it well, it went through the uprights and I went for the power slide. I have a scar on my knee to prove it, and the celebration afterwards was just [incredible]. Realistically looking back at it, it was probably a bit over the top, but it was my fifth ever field goal in my life and the game winner on the road in the SEC on ESPN. It was pretty wild.”

You were 21-25 kicking field goals at A&M and are known for your accuracy with field goals over 40 yards. How did you get so good at kicking so quickly?

“Well part of it was my kicking coach, Taylor Mehlhaff, who was a two time All-American Big 10 kicker for Wisconsin and drafted by the New Orleans Saints in 2008. He’s the guy who taught me how to kick. He said “Ok, you already have an established soccer swing. Let’s go off of that, play off your strengths and tweak it a little bit.’ Fortunately enough for me, it clicked. He’s a great coach, and I continually work with him. I was actually with him over the weekend working out with him. I guess it’s just one of those things that worked out for me. Some things work naturally with people, and I think I’m athletic enough to where I pride myself on being able to pick things up pretty quickly. Things progressed for me, and  it’s one of those things that I’m apparently good at.”

Do you have any fond memories with the coaches?

“I didn’t know until right before the game when we went into the locker room against Arkansas that I was going to start. Coach Sumlin comes over to me, and he says ‘We’re going with you.’ It was something I’ll always remember. Coach Sumlin gave me the game ball after the Ole Miss game, and that’s something I’m always going to have for the rest of my life.”

When you hear your name called at the draft or get a trial and signed by a team, what will be going through your mind?
“It’s going to be pretty cool for a while—a short while really. Just because I get picked up doesn’t mean I have a job. “I’m going to have to go through training camp, rookie mini camp, all the other camps, OTAs, and everything that leads up to preseason. I’m going to have to beat somebody out who has done this for a while, who has been in the NFL and who has already been there and done that. While it’s going to be really cool to figure out where I’m going, it’s really just the beginning for me. There’s a lot of work to be done and many areas where I have to improve on to be an NFL kicker, but I’m really going to be excited for the chance to fight and to compete. It’s what I love to do. I’m just going to try and grow and be the best I can and make the best of whatever chance I can get.”

• Josh Lambo 2

Tanner Garza
  • Josh Lambo 3

Tanner Garza
  • Josh Lambo practices his field goals at Pro Day on March 3, 2015.

Shelby Knowles