Freshman Heather Abadie stalls out during the pole vaulting competition at the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championship on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022.
Soaring for success
Youngchan Kang, JOUR 359 contributor • May 8, 2024

Supported by an athletic family background, junior Heather Abadie has continued to soar toward her ultimate Olympic goal as she sits atop Texas...

QB competition resurfaces

Kyle+Allen
File
Kyle Allen

The quarterback position for A&M is, once again, up for grabs.
This week, Jake Hubenak, Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray will all compete for the starting quarterback role. It will be a competition between three quarterbacks who each play a different style of football. 
In the aftermath of a 23-3 loss to Ole Miss on Saturday, head coach Kevin Sumlin was on the spot Tuesday afternoon at the weekly football news conference. The first thing the Aggie head coach touched on was the quarterback situation, specifically after the last two weeks Kyle Allen has endured. 
Sumlin said he spoke with his three quarterbacks on Monday morning and told them his expectations for this week’s three-way competition.
“I met with all three quarterbacks on Monday at 9 in the morning,” Sumlin said. “I sat them down and said, ‘Here’s where you are … All three of you have played. What we are looking for is consistency, cutting down on turnovers, and this week you will be evaluated based on practice, but also in leadership skills, communication with team and coaching staff, general overall play and demeanor … Friday at practice we will announce who the starter is for South Carolina.”
In the fourth quarter, third string quarterback Jake Hubenak replaced Kyle Allen instead of Kyler Murray in an effort to spark an unresponsive offense. 
Rumblings of a possible altercation between offensive coordinator Jake Spavital and Murray on the sideline during the Alabama game surfaced after the game, and Sumlin addressed that situation on Tuesday.
“I am not going to get into the specifics of what happened on the sideline,” Sumlin said. “But, I will say that [Kyler Murray] has done the things that we’ve asked him to do after what happened on the sideline, and hopefully that has been a learning experience for him.”
Sumlin answered with a quick “yes” when asked if Spavital had most of the play calling duties. 
Sumlin also said the team needs to get back to taking games week-to-week.
“In this business, you’re only as good as your last outing,” Sumlin said. “The last two haven’t been good, but we’ve made some changes, and we’re going to try and get rolling…We’ll see five weeks from now what the thought process is.”
It has been a tough last two weeks for the Aggie football team, but changes are coming this week. Fans will find out who takes the reigns to the offense on Friday.
quarterback Jake Hubenak replaced Kyle Allen instead of Kyler Murray in an effort to spark an unresponsive offense. 
“In this business, you’re only as good as your last outing,” Sumlin said. “The last two haven’t been good, but we’ve made some changes, and we’re going to try and get rolling … We’ll see five weeks from now what the thought process is.”
A&M will host South Carolina at 11 a.m. Saturday at Kyle Field.

• Kyler Murray

File
  • Jake Hubenak

Photo by Jenna Rabel