No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

R.C. Slocum to serve as interim athletic director

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

R.C. Slocum is the winningest coach in A&M history with 123 wins in 13 years.

Following the departure of former athletic director Scott Woodward, Texas A&M announced former A&M head football coach R.C. Slocum will serve as the university’s interim athletic director. 
University president Michael K. Young announced in a statement through the athletic department that Slocum was the best person for the opening while the university looks for a permanent replacement. 
“R.C. has served as an Ambassador for Texas A&M for decades,” Young said. “While reporting to me as a special assistant, R.C. has demonstrated his dedication to this university and always is an exemplary representative for Aggies everywhere. He has shown proven leadership with coaches, staff and student athletes throughout his many roles at Texas A&M University.”
Slocum, who is the winningest coach in program history, said he is looking forward in helping the university finding the person to fill the opening. 
“My role is to keep the momentum going forward until a permanent AD is hired, as well as to assure Aggies, coaches and athletes that nothing has changed,” Slocum said in the statement. “Texas A&M is poised to enter into one of our greatest era of achievements. We have great coaches in place, state-of-the-art facilities and our alumni have been unbelievable supporters of our programs. I’m excited about what’s ahead.”
There is no timetable for when the Aggies will announce the hiring of a new athletic director.