Reports indicate Scott Woodward to leave Texas A&M for LSU

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Texas A&M athletic director Scott Woodward has hired four head coaches including two at major programs for Aggie athletics.

Texas A&M might be looking for a new athletic director.

According to several reports, Athletic Director Scott Woodward will be leaving College Station and heading to Baton Rouge to join his alma mater LSU.

At 4:25 p.m. on Wednesday, Billy Liucci from TexAgs reported that Woodward would become the next athletic director for the Tigers.

“Per multiple sources in the know, Scott Woodward has signed a ‘Memorandum of Understanding’ and will be LSU’s next AD, probably to be announced tomorrow or Friday,” Luicci wrote on texags.com.

Two weeks ago, Woodward hired Buzz Williams from Virginia Tech to become the next men’s basketball coach. Williams is the latest in a series of high-profile hires orchestrated by Woodward.

“As we began our search, it quickly reaffirmed to us what we all know—the A&M brand is powerful, as the depth and breadth of the candidate pool was incredible,” Woodward said in a statement at the time. “We kept our focus on finding an elite basketball coach, a developer of talent, a tremendous recruiter, a tireless worker and someone who fits Texas A&M. Buzz Williams is all that and more.” 

One of Woodward’s biggest hires came in December of 2017 when he hired Jimbo Fisher away from Florida State to be the Aggies’ new head football coach. Fisher’s 10-year $75 million fully guaranteed deal with A&M was the largest contract in college football history.

Woodward was hired by A&M in January 2016 from the University of Washington. During his introductory press conference three years ago, Woodward said he was going to try to bring A&M to college sports prominence while also helping students excel in academics.

“Texas A&M is an outstanding university and athletics program competing in what is arguably the best conference in college sports,” Woodward said. “I can promise the Aggie faithful that we will compete for championships across the board and we will do so with integrity, class and a commitment to our student-athletes.”