Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Robert Williams and former A&M assistant mentioned in FBI college basketball investigation

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Sophomore Robert Williams has declared for the NBA draft as of March 22.

Former Texas A&M men’s basketball center Robert Williams and a former A&M staff member are involved in an FBI investigation after Williams was reportedly sent a payment two years ago.
According to Matt Norlander of CBS Sports, former A&M assistant Amir Abdur-Rahim, ex-sports agent Christian Dawkins, former financial advisor Marty Blazer and an undercover FBI agent coordinated a payment for Williams back in July 2017.
Soon after, Williams was reportedly Fed-exed a pair of shoes filled with $11,000 dollars from The Cosmopolitan hotel in Las Vegas.
The revelation comes after Blazer’s testimony in federal court, along with FBI wiretap recordings that also implicated programs such as Kentucky, Duke and North Carolina in the scandal, according to Norlander.
Abdur-Rahim was an assistant under former A&M head coach Billy Kennedy from 2014 to 2018, until he left to take the same position under Tom Crean at Georgia. Last Thursday, Abdur-Rahim took the Kennesaw State head coaching job.
Williams also departed from College Station the year after the alleged payments occurred, getting selected 27th overall by the Boston Celtics in the 2018 NBA Draft.
Dawkins was convicted of wire fraud in October of last year after being one of the prominent figures of the scandal from its inception before the 2018 season.
Blazer has been in plenty of trouble of his own in the college football landscape, allegedly paying players from 2000 to 2014 at top-notch programs like Alabama, Penn State and Michigan. He has pled guilty to a pair of wire fraud charges, a securities fraud charge and aggravated identity theft.