Robert Williams declares for the NBA Draft

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Sophomore Robert Williams has declared for the NBA draft as of March 22.

LOS ANGELES — After two years at Texas A&M, sophomore Robert Williams announced his intentions to declare for the NBA Draft following A&M’s 99-72 loss to Michigan in the Sweet 16. 
“Its something I’ve been dreaming about — the next step,” Williams said. “I’m declaring, definitely I’m declaring.”
Williams said while the ending to his college career was a disappointing one, he was still thankful for his time at Texas A&M. Williams said the camaraderie between his teammates was a motivating factor for his return for his sophomore season. 
“This [teammates] right here, we lost today and it didn’t end the way we wanted to [end],” Williams said. 
Williams said his goal as he transitions is to be considered for a lottery pick in the upcoming NBA Draft.
“I hope so,” Williams said as he laughed. “I’m trying to get that money.”
Williams, who got emotional when A&M head coach Billy Kennedy pulled him from the game, said he couldn’t help but reflect on his time in Aggieland while he was walking towards his teammates. 
“It was a blessing. It was fun,” Williams said. “Trials and tribulations [included]. All in all, it was a great, great experience.”
Despite hopes of being a lottery pick, Williams also admitted that he is anxious to join the league. 
“Little nervous, little excited,” Williams said. “[I’m] looking forward to what I am coming into. It’s a grown man league, but I feel I’m ready for it.”
Kennedy said since the day Williams stepped on the A&M campus he knew Williams was destined for the league. 
“He’s been a NBA performer, day in and day out,” Kennedy said. “I’m really proud of him. He came back to finish strong and did something special for this program and university. He gave us everything he had at the end of the year to put us in this position.”