Sartain’s two home run night lifts No. 5 Aggies past Oklahoma State

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Junior outfielder Erica Russell would finish the game with two RBIs

No. 5 Texas A&M kicked of Daddy/Daughter day at the Aggie Softball Complex against Oklahoma State team Friday.
The Aggies came into the opening game of the series after defeating McNeese State Wednesday night. Junior Trinity Harrington closed the game out for the Aggies and earning her 10th victory of the season. 
The Oklahoma State Cowgirls were coming off a close 3-2 loss to Tulsa Wednesday night in Stillwater. Senior Shea Coats picked up her fifth loss of the season. Coats gave up six hits and three runs in two complete innings of play.
Harrington found herself in a jam in the first inning after Kristin Reasonor singled to junior shortstop Kristen Cuyos, allowing for OSU’s leadoff batter, Rylee Bayless to score. Harrington then hit Jessi Haffner to load the bases for the Cowgirls. A&M got out of the inning after a strike out and a ground out to second. 
The high-powered Aggie offense wasted no time taking the lead from OSU. After junior Tori Vidales and sophomore Kaitlyn Alderink reached base via walk and hit-by-pitch, sophomore Riley Sartain hit two RBI double off the top of the right field wall, giving A&M the 2-1 lead.
A&M head coach Jo Evans said that seeing her team responds the way they did today after falling behind early in the game gives her peace of mind to know that her team young team is growing and mature. 
“What a statement our kids made” Evans said. “In the bottom of the first inning, it was great to see our kids go up there and have such quality at bats. We hit through the order, and it was really impressed that we just played the game. We didn’t get on our heels. I keep saying this, but we are showing signs of maturity and I am happy about that.” 
The offensive attack didn’t stop with there. Junior Ashley Walters drove in Sartain for the third run of the game. Sophomore Samantha Show added two more runs with a 2 RBI single to right.
Sartain followed up her hard hit to the wall with a solo home run extending A&M’s lead even more. In the bottom half of the fourth inning, Vidales homered to left, her ninth of the season.
In the seventh, a red-hot Sartain sent her second homerun of the game over the left center field wall, tying Vidales for the team best nine home runs on the season. 
Harrington earned the start for the Aggies going seven complete innings, giving up four hits while striking out five. Harrington issued two walks both of which came in the first inning of the game.
Evans said it is a welcome sight to see Harrington come into her own after dealing with a few injuries last season that limited her production on the mound.
“I was really happy to see [Harrington] get out there and compete,” Evans said. “I think she has done a really good job of handling pressure situations. She has learned how to keep herself calm and take a step back. When you are healthy, you can take on the world. She has gone out there and competed.”
The Aggies will be back in action Saturday for game two of the series against Oklahoma State. First pitch is set for 4:15 p.m. at the Aggie Softball Complex.