Shewmake named SEC Freshman of the Year, three other Aggies honored

Photo by By Lawrence Smelser

Braden Shewmake gets walked and trots to first.

Braden Shewmake was named SEC Freshman of the Year and First-Team All-SEC second baseman, the conference announced as part of its annual awards on Monday.
Three other Aggies were also recognized, as Logan Foster and Hunter Coleman made the All-Freshman team and Brigham Hill was the pitcher on the SEC All-Defensive Team.
Shewmake was the Aggies’ most productive hitter in 2017, leading the team in most offensive categories, including batting average, home runs and RBI. His 64 RBI rank second in the SEC and he leads all NCAA freshmen in hits, total bases and RBI.
The freshman from Wylie, who was named Freshman of the Week twice throughout the season, is the first Aggie in A&M history to win SEC Freshman of the Year. The only time an Aggie has been named a conference’s top freshman was in 2004, when Jason Meyer was named the Big 12 Freshman Pitcher of the Year.
Coleman and Foster each received Freshman of the Week accolades once in 2017. Foster is hitting .293 with five home runs, 23 RBI and four triples, while Coleman is hitting .291 with four home runs, 18 RBI and 32 runs scored.
Prior to these announcements, Nick Banks in 2014 had been the only Aggie to collect All-Freshman recognition.
Hill has been the Aggies’ Friday night starter since opening weekend and has not committed an error all season. He started one double play and is 7-3 on the season with a 2.96 ERA and 95 strikeouts in 85 innings of work.
A&M begins its postseason play Tuesday in the SEC Tournament, as the Aggies play Missouri in Hoover.