Texas A&M infielder Kaeden Kent (3) celebrates a home run during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Winning 9 to 5: A&M beats Tennessee in Game 1 of College World Series finals
Luke White, Sports Editor • June 23, 2024

While Texas A&M baseball had never appeared in the College World Series finals before Saturday, the Aggies played as if they were seasoned...

Shoring up the Aggie trenches

With the 2021 NFL Draft approaching, Texas A&M right tackle Carson Green will rely on his physical presence on the football field to set him apart.

Offensive lineman Carson Green has seen both a new head coach and a change in position over the past two seasons, but that hasn’t stopped the junior from being positive during spring practices.
“It’s going good, going really good,” Green said on Wednesday. “It’s a grind right now, but I’m having a good time. I think everyone is having a good energy to it. They want to work every day, get better, and you know we all go out there saying that it’s going to be a great day.”
Green has been an integral part of the offensive line in his first two seasons in Aggieland, starting 16 of the 25 games he has played in.
In year two of the Jimbo Fisher era, Green said there hasn’t been much change after the switch to a pro-style offense last spring.
“We have a lot of the same guys on offense coming back,” Green said. “Some of the young guys, they’re having to learn pretty quick, like Baylor [Cupp]. He’s doing a great job of it, same with Glenn Beal. The tight ends are doing a really good job.”
Following the exit of former offensive line coach Jim Turner to the Cincinnati Bengals in early February, Fisher hired Oklahoma State offensive line coach Josh Henson to the same position.
Despite Turner’s departure, Green said assistant offensive line coach Lee Grimes has eased the transition for Henson and the line.
According to Green, Henson is emphasizing the importance of having a solid technique as well as playing psychological games with the defensive line, which will help this coming fall.
“[Henson] made a big emphasis that he didn’t want to change the entire offense,” Green said. “There’s like 20 of us and one of him, so he’s kind of readjusted learning all of our stuff.”
Leadership changes on the offensive front have also led to significant adjustments after the departure of Eric McCoy and Keaton Sutherland to the NFL draft this year.
Green said Colton Prater, Ryan McCollum, Dan Moore and himself were the most experienced on the line, and the younger player will have to step up this season.
“I think we’re going to be a really good offensive line,” Green said. “Like last year, everyone was kind of saying the same thing, that we have a lot of young guys, and sure, we’re losing two veterans. They had a lot of game experience and helped us on the offensive line as leaders, but now it’s just our turn for us to step it up.”
The Aggies will host the annual Maroon and White spring game at Kyle Field on April 13. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m., and the game will be televised on SEC Network.