Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Show dominates as No. 4 A&M beats Georgia, 1-0

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Junior shortstop Kristen Cuyos and sophomore third baseman Riley Sartain perform their handshake before the inning. 

The fourth-ranked Texas A&M softball team distanced itself from a recent losing skid by defeating Georgia 1-0 Saturday. The Aggies claimed a series win with this victory after a 10-3 win Friday. Saturday’s victory moved A&M’s record to 39-5.
Starting pitcher Samantha Show got the victory in the circle, striking out eight in a complete game effort. 
“Coach Dill called the game he called, and Samantha executed it to perfection,” A&M head coach Jo Evans said. “I thought she was as good as she could be. We make an error in the first inning and they get a hit, strikes out a kid, she walks a kid, then strikes out the next hitter. Those are huge strikeouts in those situations. When you have the bases loaded and we don’t have to field the ball, that’s huge. Sam did a great job.”
The first inning started ugly for the Ags when an error lead to runners on first and second before the first out. Show would strike one out, walk one to load the bases, and strike out another before a grounder to short ended the inning. Georgia was unable to score, and left the bases loaded.
Riley Sartain came through with the first Aggie hit, a solo homer just inside the right foul pole to put A&M up 1-0 after one. A&M would threaten again in the second, but was not able to capitalize, leaving runners on second and third.
The teams traded scoreless innings until the end. Neither team could find their footing offensively, with baserunners being a rare commodity in the game. The teams combined for only eight hits and had an error apiece.
“We didn’t execute our plan perfectly,” Sartain said. “But we executed it just enough to win the game.”
The weather had an effect on tonight’s game as well. Strong winds blowing in stopped many balls that appeared to be gone from making it over the fence.
“We hit the ball hard,” Coach Evans said. “I think we would have had at least three more homeruns – Riley’s and three others. It’s tough on a day like today. In the end of April, it’s not what you’d expect, but hey, I’ll take it. Our kids played a gutty game.”
Show made sure one run was enough tonight. She walked only one in seven innings of work and gave up five hits en route to her 16th victory of the season.
“I trusted what Coach Dill was calling and I trusted in what I could throw,” Show said. “I feel better today. I got 12 hours of sleep, which I didn’t get Thursday before Friday.”
The Aggies will look to finish the series sweep Sunday at noon.