Soccer tabbed 2-seed, host Lamar in First Round of NCAA Tournament

Photo by FILE

A&M soccer coach G Guerrieri has led the Aggies to 11 wins throughout the 2020-2021 season. 

A day after winning the SEC Tournament, Texas A&M head coach G Guerrieri and the Aggie soccer team waited patiently for their NCAA Tournament placement, which was released by the selection committee on Monday afternoon. The committee gave A&M a 2-seed and matched the Aggies up with the Southland Conference champion Lamar Cardinals.
Texas A&M and Lamar will square off in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7:30 p.m. at Ellis Field.
The Cardinals finished their regular season at 18-3-1 and won the Southland Conference Tournament after beating Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Central Arkansas and Stephen F. Austin in tournament play. Lamar is led by junior Kelso Peskin, who leads the team in both goals and assists, with eight and 11 respectively.
The Aggies and Cardinals are matched up with Notre Dame and IUPUI, with regional rivals Baylor and Rice matched up with 3-seed USC and Eastern Washington on the other side of the bracket. A&M’s region also includes first-seeded Duke and fourth-seeded Texas.