Softball Complex to receive new look

The Texas A&M Softball Complex was built in 1994 and will soon undergo renovations to achieve a standard that will rival other SEC facilities. 

Kyle Field is not the only stadium undergoing renovation. The Aggie Softball Complex will receive a new look as part of The Next Step Campaign, an ongoing development of A&M’s athletic complexes, thanks to the 12th Man Foundation.
The softball complex was built back in 1994 and was one of the best in its time, said Jason Cook, senior associate athletics director, but other schools have updated their facilities since then.
“All of the schools in the SEC have outstanding stadiums in several sports” Cook said. “That tells you the level of our competition.”
The softball complex has received improvements over the years, Cook said, like updated outfield walls, the existing scoreboard which was added in 2007 and the removal of the roof over the grandstand in 2008. They have updated the field itself and added batting cages and bullpens.
Recruits are always looking for good fields along with up-to-date facilities and amenities, Cook said. Most importantly though, they want to see what level of commitment the school is putting toward the program, he said.
Alan Cannon, associate A.D. for media relations, said that while the playing surface is still in outstanding condition the press boxes and other amenities are below par.
While sports like football and basketball have an easier time raising money for renovations, other sports have trouble just to break even, Cannon said. Since state funding is not readily available, Aggie Athletics has to rely on donors and ticket sales, Cannon said.
There are also the fans to consider when thinking about the renovations, Cook said.
“We believe that we have the best softball fans in the country,” he said. “We want to make sure our facilities are reflective of our fan base.”
Architectural planning is projected to begin in August.