Softball faces road challenge against University of Houston

Softball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Softball

After a commanding 11-1 start to their season,  the No. 14 Texas A&M softball team will be traveling to Houston to take on the University of Houston Cougars this Wednesday at the Cougar Softball Stadium.

The Aggies are coming off a 6-0 win at the Mary Nutter Classic in Cathedral City, California, and are looking to extend their eight-game win streak to nine. The last time A&M played in California the team managed to defeat three top-25 ranked teams, including No. 16 UCF, No. 9 Washington and No. 10 Arizona.

Texas A&M freshman outfielder Keeli Milligan and pitcher Samantha Show continue to make major contributions to the maroon and white during their debut season. In the game versus No. 10 Arizona, Show who leads the nation with seven wins under belt, pitched seven complete innings and contributed a total of four runs-off of a three-run home run and a solo homerun in the victory. Milligan, who earned SEC freshman of the week honors after her performance in the Aggie Classic, added five stolen bases to her already eight on the season. Milligan’s 13 stolen bases are tied for second in the nation for most stolen bases on the season.

Meanwhile, the Cougars are looking to bounce back from a 4-1 loss to No. 21 Texas in the final game of the Hilton Houston Plaza Invitational this past weekend. Despite also falling to Ball State 10-0 during the tournament, Houston defeated Toledo 9-0 in run rule fashion. However, Houston’s matchup against Iowa State ended in a 4-3 victory after extra innings.

The Aggies defeated Houston 6-3 last season when they hosted them at the Aggie Softball Complex. In that matchup, senior Cali Lanphear had a two RBI double to add two more runs to the Aggie lead.
First pitch is set for 6 p.m at the Cougar Softball Complex.