A&M finishes undefeated in nonconference play with 16-3 win over Rice

Sports news of the week

This past week was one of the most exciting ones in recent memory, particularly Tuesday. Peter Burns of ESPN SEC Nation perhaps put it best when he tweeted that “October 12, 2015 will need its own 30 for 30,” referencing the popular ESPN documentary series. Check out some of the more intriguing events that transpired.

Sarkisian fired at USC

Only a day after USC sent head football coach Steve Sarkisian home after allegedly showing up to practice in no condition to work, the university announced that they were firing Sarkisian, effective immediately. This is the latest episode in the saga that has been the Trojan-Sarkisian marriage. The 41-year-old coach appeared to be intoxicated in a preseason booster event and was also suspected of being intoxicated in some of USC’s games this year.

Sumlin mentioned as a possible replacement at USC

Not surprisingly, Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin has been mentioned as a potential replacement at Southern Cal. There was reportedly some mutual interest between the two parties the last time the USC job was open – after the 2013 season – but Sumlin was never offered the job. It is hard to imagine that he will leave College Station, especially considering his $5-million annual salary and the university’s willingness to spend money on facilities and give Sumlin whatever he needs to build a winning program. Dan Wolken of USA TODAY ranks Sumlin as the third-best candidate to replace Sarkisian, while Las Vegas sportsbook Bovada gives Sumlin 11:1 odds of being the next USC coach.

Spurrier Calls it Quits

College football lost one of its most entertaining and successful coaches on Tuesday, as Steve Spurrier announced that he has resigned his spot as South Carolina’s head coach. Despite saying in the past that he wasn’t considering retirement, Spurrier said in his press conference that it’s time for him to “get out of the way and give somebody else a go at it.” Nicknamed the “Head Ball Coach,” Spurrier leaves behind a sterling reputation. Revered for his clever comments and epic one-liners when speaking to reporters, Spurrier is the only coach in history to win a Heisman trophy as a player, coach a Heisman winner and win a national championship as a head coach.

Will Grier suspended for one year

The Florida Gators, who looked like they had the SEC East in the bag, suffered a major setback on Monday when head coach Jim McElwain announced that his starting quarterback, Will Grier, had been suspended for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. The redshirt freshman was emotional in his news conference and said his consumption of an over-the-counter supplement triggered the positive testing. The suspension will be appealed, but as it stands now, Grier will not be eligible to return to the field until the seventh game of 2016.

Thomas Johnson arrested for murder

The former Texas A&M receiver, who recorded 30 catches for 339 yards and a touchdown as a freshman back in 2012, admitted to murdering an innocent jogger on Monday morning. Johnson supposedly called police shortly after killing the jogger, who was identified by police as a white male between the ages of 25 and 30. It was a completely random target, according to Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin, which makes it all the more shocking.

Michael Wacha suffers defeat in NLDS

Former standout Aggie pitcher Michael Wacha suffered a loss in his first postseason start of 2015. He allowed six hits and four runs in 4.1 innings pitched, and the Cardinals lost to the Cubs 8-6. Wacha was unable to engender any of the postseason magic he displayed in 2013, when he was named the NLCS MVP after tossing 13.2 shutout innings en route to two victories. A Wacha win would have put the Cards ahead in the series, but it wasn’t meant to be, and the Cubs ultimately won the series.

Laremy Tunsil eligible for A&M game
Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil will be eligible for next Saturday’s game against Texas A&M in Oxford, the university announced in a statement. The NCAA accused Tunsil of receiving impermissible benefits and then lying about it to investigators. However, it was determined that the star offensive lineman would only be suspended for seven games, making the potential first-round draft pick available for the Rebels when the Aggies travel to Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Oct. 24.